texture mapping applied, renders but does not show in viewport anymore

Cadfused

I have this unexplainable issue, where-as i assigned textures to my model and i selected the button in the material editor to 'show map in standard viewport'. It had been showing fine for quite some time but only recently did i notice the mapping is not showing in the torso, arms, hands or head. I have been working in 'see-though' mode with the biped. I tried reapplying the texture mapping and reselecting the 'show map in standard viewport' but to no success. When i render it, it renders just fine with all of the mapping so i'm not sure why it isn't showing. see below.

5-23_additionalissue.jpg

What do you mean by "see-through mode"? Do you mean Wireframe or were you working with your material opacity dialed down or something else?

Can you post a screenshot of your material editor? Are you using a multi/sub-object material or do you have separate materials for the head, hands, arms & torso?

Hello, again, Cad64.

'See-through' is a selection you can make when you 'right click' your mouse in a viewport and go to 'object properties' or if you press 'Alt' & 'X' (this is the keyboard entry for it. It is not wire frame but gives a transparency to your object that you have in this mode.

The materials are texture mapped on, so this is not a multi-sub material. I created a template using the 'Unwrap UVW' modifier and made a 2d map to be brought into Photoshop and painted, or image mapped onto and brought back into MAX. There are 3 maps. One is for the head, one for the torso and hands & one for the legs and feet.

I'll post images in a couple of minutes. I think i may have to reboot my laptop as MAX is opening slow. .......too slow.

Here is a snap shot of my Material Editor and also the Object Properties dialog box. Under 'Display Properties' heading you can see the option for 'See-through' mode (also 'Alt' 'X' on your keyboard).

I retried, again, to select the button to 'Show Standard Map in Viewport' but it still does not show up on the model except when you render.

cadtutormapping.jpg

Standard mode for viewing model:

cadtutor-solidmode.jpg

See-through mode (note that you can see the waist line for the pants through the shirt):

cadtutor-see-through.jpg

I see you also have bump and specular maps along with your texture map. I have had this problem before, where my bump or spec map shows in the viewport instead of the texture map. I never bothered to figure out why this happens though, since it renders just fine anyway. And sometimes it corrects itself the next time I open the file. I think Max just gets confused as to which map is supposed to be visible in the viewport.

Try making a copy of your model and then apply your material to the copy and see if you get the same result. Or just delete the material and create a new one.

I never noticed the "See Through" option before. I usually create an animated material that allows me to easily control the amount of opacity using the timeline.

That makes sense. I can give that a try in the coming days to see how that will work, if removing the specular and bump map may work or removing and reapplying it. Thank you for the tips.

hmmm, how does that work with the animated material and timeline? Do you use the keys to go from solid to a transparent and back again and work via the time line, then?

hmmm, how does that work with the animated material and timeline? Do you use the keys to go from solid to a transparent and back again and work via the time line, then?

I tried to find a tutorial that covers this, but I couldn't find one, so I will try to explain it.

1. Select the material that you want to apply the animation to

2. Start the animation by clicking the "Auto Key" button

3. Slide the timeline slider over to 100%

4. In the Material Editor, set the material opacity to 0

5. End the animation by clicking the "Auto Key" button

Now you can control the material opacity by moving the timeline slider.

Hope that made sense. :unsure:

Yes, I do understand. Thank you for explaining it. Perhaps, you may find the 'see-through' mode as a time saving function, though, i can also see the benefit of your method as you can do a full range for the opacity as opposed to one preset opacity.