HELP! Being driven mad!!! (BAK files)

Johnnyfive

AutoSave creates SV$ file exention, but if you do not use QSAVE, it will start creating .BAK with the added numbering or something to that effect.

I have Autosave turned off and no .BAK. Professionals using computers should learn to SAVE there FILES at regular intervals as they work.

If you only QSAVE every hour, you can still lose up to two hours worth of work.

Not much can be done with your coworker unless the boss or IT steps in, but at least you can tell them there is a solution and that you can solve the problem with their help.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnnyfive

• dbroada

• ReMark

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AutoSave creates SV$ file exention, but if you do not use QSAVE, it will start creating .BAK with the added numbering or something to that effect.

I have Autosave turned off and no .BAK. Professionals using computers should learn to SAVE there FILES at regular intervals as they work.

If you only QSAVE every hour, you can still lose up to two hours worth of work.

Not much can be done with your coworker unless the boss or IT steps in, but at least you can tell them there is a solution and that you can solve the problem with their help.

I'm gonna have to disagree with your advice about disabling Autosave and .bak for the very reason you state. Anybody, that has lost a good chunk of work because of a crash, not just professionals, knows the value of saving frequently. I'm not sure how it works if you save every hour, you can lose two hours of work. They also know the value of having a back-up of some sort in case your file becomes corrupt for whatever reason. After 12 years of working with AutoCAD, I have used .sv$ and .bak files a number of times. It doesn't happen very often but they have saved me hours of work on more than one occasion and I would never advise anyone to turn them off.

I use Autosave set at 15 min. intervals. I also hit the save button from time to time. If the phone rings, the first thing I do is ctrl-s, then answer the phone.

"I pity da fool dat don't".

(first one that recognizes that quote gets an e-cookie).

I use Autosave set at 15 min. intervals. I also hit the save button from time to time. If the phone rings' date=' the first thing I do is ctrl-s, then answer the phone.

[i']"I pity da fool dat don't".[/i]

(first one that recognizes that quote gets an e-cookie).

Mr T? Must be...

I'm gonna have to disagree with your advice about disabling Autosave and .bak for the very reason you state. Anybody, that has lost a good chunk of work because of a crash, not just professionals, knows the value of saving frequently. I'm not sure how it works if you save every hour, you can lose two hours of work. They also know the value of having a back-up of some sort in case your file becomes corrupt for whatever reason. After 12 years of working with AutoCAD, I have used .sv$ and .bak files a number of times. It doesn't happen very often but they have saved me hours of work on more than one occasion and I would never advise anyone to turn them off.

I also don't use .bak files, I have had that option turned off for at least 14 years. I save often and I can't think of a single time where a .bak file would have helped me. Windows has system restore built-in to Win7 and also Win2003 for networks. I have had to use that once or twice over the years when an entire file disappeared. Not sure a .bak file would have helped. I use a macro every time I close a drawing to audit before saving, and purge unwanted items (zero length, blank text, regapps).

2012 is crashing so often the autosave is coming in handy. This is the most crash happy release I have used in quite some time.

I also don't use .bak files, I have had that option turned off for at least 14 years. I save often and I can't think of a single time where a .bak file would have helped me.
So I am not the only one who has never needed a .BAK file then. Our system gets backed up every night so we do have a safety net. I am about to get a few drawings restored but even without that ability the .BAK files wouldn't have helped me - I need drawings from a month ago not the other day.

I do not see anywhere in my comment that I told anyone to turn theirs off. I have never used a .BAK or any others, because i keep my drawings saved and they are always the most recent.

Try drawing some lines in a drawing and saving, now open your .bak as a .dwg. no lines right. .bak saves at the previous save point, everything you did in the hour between saves is not in the .bak, so up until your next save in another hour, you have nearly two hours of work not in your .bak.

Since you use 2002, you probably do not get an automatic recover file, you may want to use the AutoSave. In 21 years I have got very little/no use out of these features, use them if you like.

There is absolutely no replacement for QSAVING and regular BACKUPS to the drives.

I also don't use .bak files, I have had that option turned off for at least 14 years. I save often and I can't think of a single time where a .bak file would have helped me. Windows has system restore built-in to Win7 and also Win2003 for networks. I have had to use that once or twice over the years when an entire file disappeared. Not sure a .bak file would have helped. I use a macro every time I close a drawing to audit before saving, and purge unwanted items (zero length, blank text, regapps).

2012 is crashing so often the autosave is coming in handy. This is the most crash happy release I have used in quite some time.

I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks. On the onset of a project, I sometimes create dozens of files in different folders. Sometimes I forget that I am creating a new file from one that already exists and do a QSave when I should have done a Save As. It's a lot easier to rename the .bak file rather than recreate the original.

Mr T? Must be...

and the winner is.....Tiger!!

Have a cookie!

cookies.jpg

All kidding aside...I do all that while the project is in flux, once its finished, I copy all the drawing files, word documents, emails, etc that I need to keep into a zipped folder. That is then copied onto my backup drive, and I delete all the other stuff. Yes, its a bit of housecleaning to have to do, but it's saved my bacon more than once. If your system is such that it never fails, you or your coworkers never mistakenly delete something or the power never blinks, go for it. I'll keep mine on, thank you.