Convert a dwg to something more manageable

bbankston

I have not, RenderMan. I will try again after I open the file for the fourth time.

So.

F'n.

Frustrating.

I can't get anything else done on my computer while I wait for it to come up.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• ReMark

• BlackBox

• DANIEL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Milk that, dood...

^^ Go ahead you know who, post that you know where.

... More specifically, use this situation to demonstrate the need, to justify your list of complaints about your current computer hardware. Try to leverage your situation into prompting the powers that be to see how worth while the investment would be.

If you don't show them that they're loosing money by keeping you working on those antiquated computers, they'll NEVER upgrade them. Just saying.

I was just talking to my IT manager about that. Can I post a new question since it's based on the same topic?

What computer should I get?

I run AutoCAD (duh), all of Adobe's products, SketchUp, Microsoft Office products, Kerkythea

Everyday I always have at least four programs running at the same time (not counting Explorer windows)

Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro ($$) 64-bit

AutoCAD (either version) 64-bit

4GB of the fastest RAM you can get.

A half-way decent graphics graphics card not an integrated graphics chip).

Hard drive (capacity ???) but make sure it spins at 7200 rpm (min.).

Throw in a wide screen monitor while you're at it since Christmas may not come again until hell freezes over.

Not very subtle am I?

A fatal error occurred when I tried to WBLOCK it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29913[/ATTACH]

welcome to the first day of the rest of your life as a CAD operator ........

Dood, that sucks. :facepalm:

Perhaps you can upload a copy of your drawing, and someone would be kind enough to extract the entities you DO need, etc. Scratch that - Use this a fuel for getting those computer upgrades. If they know you can perform your duties with sub-standard equipment, they let you keep using it. :rtfm:

just had an experience last week, I don't know if this is related but I guess I'll just give it a try.

I was working with lines and circle, just like what your story is-my file size was was more or less 10 mbs. At first, I'am already in doubt of the montrous size; guess what?, the template I used to create a new dwg came from a working dwg incorporated with ground and rock contours created from civil 3d-the layers involved with these contours couldn't be purge in acad except when you open it in civil 3d.

Good luck!

forgot to mention, the layers that couldn't be purge nor deleted in acad was a success in civil 3d.

from more or less 10 mbs to 700 kbs and less.

cheers!