Editing Read-only files in AutoCad

tyrus84

Hey,

I am writing to inquire if there is any way that a read-only file can be edited in AutoCad. I am using AutoCad 2004 on a drawing that was created in 2002, probably using the 2002 version. If you can help me with this, it'll be great. Thanks in advance.

tyrus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ghazy_68

• Jack_O'neill

• nestly

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

File Explorer

Right click the DWG

Select properties

Unclick read only

Enjoy editing your drawing

We group select DWGs at archive time and set them to "read only".

If your trying to get into a DWG someone else is in, save as is the way to go

• 5 years later...

hi, im using MAC autocad 2011, I'm trying to edit a read only file but its impossible. do you know any other way? please....my dgeree is dependant on this.

thanks

Have you tried the suggestions above?

I don't know anything about MAC, but surely there's a way to change the Read-only attribute for the file,.... or else save the drawing with a different file name (SAVEAS) and then make your edits on the new drawing file...

yes i have tried what was said above! The same copy of the file opens up and it acts the same as the original file. Do you think there is a way?!?!?

Try inserting the drawing as an exploded block into a new drawing. Then save it as something else.

--edit-- Sorry, but I gotta ask. Why is your degree dependant on editing this read only file? Are you taking an Autocad class or a hacker class? :lol:

Sorry, the way you worded that struck me funny.

well I've got two days to my deadline and i have to have major tiny detailes on my building section (architecture is the biggest mistake of my life) like staircase joints etc, but to fasten the process and all nighters.....I've got a CD which has simliar detailed drawings but i need to edit them and relate it to my building.

....back to my problem, no i cant even explode the drawing. i select object, command explode and then it tells me to "select object' again....and nothing gets selected!

I guess theres no way then.:cry:

.....I've got a CD which has simliar detailed drawings but i need to edit them .....

Are these read-only drawings on your hard drive, or on a CD? Are they copyrighted drawings that you're trying to modify for an assignment?

well I've got two days to my deadline and i have to have major tiny detailes on my building section (architecture is the biggest mistake of my life) like staircase joints etc, but to fasten the process and all nighters.....I've got a CD which has simliar detailed drawings but i need to edit them and relate it to my building.

....back to my problem, no i cant even explode the drawing. i select object, command explode and then it tells me to "select object' again....and nothing gets selected!

I guess theres no way then.:cry:

Ok, lets be sure you understood my suggestion. Open a new blank drawing. Use the "insert" command. That should bring up the dialog box below (or at least it's Mac equivalent). Find the file you want to insert by using the browse button, set the other stuff as needed, and then click the box next to "explode" in the lower left corner. Hit ok, and that should bring any drawing you have into the new one and allow you to edit it.

insert.JPG

If that don't work, you may have to borrow a friend's PC to finish your assignment. I have 3 or 4 different sets of standard details and parts catalogs from curtainwall manufacturers, literally thousands of drawings, and they are all read only. I insert them into drawings every day and go right on. Being set to read only keeps me from accidentally screwing one of them up when I am scrolling through them looking for just the right one to base a new extrusion or assembly on. I'm bad to get caught up in it and forget to saveas, you see.

I've opened the file and saved as a new name. cant copy at all!

I'm not sure if they're copy right, they've been passed on to me from a friend. doesn't say copy right on the CD, just says suitable for macintosh and windows.

if they have been copied from a CD (or accessed from a CD) the will be set as read only by the operating system (CD is considered RO). Check with windows explorer that the file isn't showing a read only and reset it if it is.

Ok' date=' lets be sure you understood my suggestion. Open a new blank drawing. Use the "insert" command. That should bring up the dialog box below (or at least it's Mac equivalent). Find the file you want to insert by using the browse button, set the other stuff as needed, and then click the box next to "explode" in the lower left corner. Hit ok, and that should bring any drawing you have into the new one and allow you to edit it.

[ATTACH']28815[/ATTACH]

I tried what you just said.....still no luck.

I'm downloading autocad on my pc right now and going to try on that and see if it works!

thanks

loool this is actually getting funnier....! I cant even attach the file, or any file from the CD. Managed to send it to my email but the not through this site!

I think I'm about to give up and just draw on top of the drawings. ( time consuming or what!)

I tried in a pc too, saved as, explodes, inserted and anything else that was said above. But just before i clicked save as, it said " drawing file is write protected'.

properties shows no read only file selected or anything.

I guess its impossible.

Thanks for all your help guys.

1) Copy the file from the CD onto your desktop.

2) Open the file on your desktop with AutoCAD

3) Type SAVEAS at the command line

4) Save the drawing to your desktop using a different filename than the original drawing.