AutoCAD Drawing Area - what color do you use?

CADTutor

What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?

• Black (the original)
    • White (a common choice)
    • Cream (the default up to 2010)
    • Dark Blue-Grey (the current default)
    • Any other color... (tell us which color you use)

I have used this forum as a source for fixing minor issues for some time.

I decided to join, but now I am regretting that decision.

If you're civil, it will be returned in kind. You got off to a rough start by coming here and proclaiming that 75% + of the members here should "abandon" their preference in favor of yours. You're welcome to participate, just try to be a little less confrontational.

I have used this forum as a source for fixing minor issues for some time.

I decided to join, but now I am regretting that decision.

No one is asking you to leave; just lighten up a bit. If you come here expecting to cram you point of view down our throats then some push back should be expected. As stated previously, it is YOU who is in the minority based upon the results of the poll thus far (75% favor a black background). Now, are you in or out? Make up your mind.

... based upon the results of the poll thus far (75% favor a black background).

I'm actually part of the now 6.39% who uses 'Any other color'... Specifically, for Civil 3D 2011, 2012, and now 2014 (mostly, I use some Map 3D, AMEP, etc. as well), I've been using color 33,40,48, as I now use actual Black line work (true color) for certain things.

Respectfully, you seem to be utterly confused about the difference(s) between the Display Manager (an ObjectARX application which manages the display properties of Entities), with that of AutoCAD's PreferencesDisplay Object, which applies to all AutoCAD-based products, and is responsible for myriad Application (not entity) display settings, such as Background Color, Command Line Colors, Crosshairs Colors, etc. amongst many others.

No...I may be an idiot; but not a confused one...LOL

I know the difference:thumbsup:

I've recently switched to Progecad, and with the new CAD program I decided to change my background color. I'm currently using color 169 which is a sort of bluish black color. It's still dark, but I like it better than straight black. I love having the ability to customize and set up my programs in a way that works best for the me. There is no right or wrong way to set up your interface. If you like white, use white. If you like black, use black. Or choose whatever color you want. There's no need for restrictions.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I used Cad programs on the old CRT monitors back in the 90's and i used to hate the white on black drawing space. I worked in Turbocad for a while and loved the fact that I could draw on white.

I use AC2007 now, (soon to upgrade) and do all my work in a white space.

I also never use yellow as a layer color if I can help it.

Frankly the white on black was a technological limitation and should be abandoned as far as I am conconcerned.

Well, I don't know how all the fuss got started, really. I'm not even sure many people use white on black. Maybe for very simple drawings, or for blocks where layer 0 is white. I do plot black and white a lot, but not only. So, I've abandoned the white on black. Actually, I use color and have done so ever since I began back in the late 80's. CAD drawings quickly become confusing to me if there is just one color fore and one back.

However, I do not like working with a white background. It's way too bright, especially when I have to concentrate on drawing. Too many colors don't stand out properly for me. I do suffer it when I type, but it's still not my favorite way. Maybe I should label that archaic! :shock:Nah, better not. I might really offend some people then! ;)

Chilidawg, I hope you are able to upgrade soon. There's some cool stuff in these later versions, though I'm only up to 2012, myself.

[neo comes back from break] Hey! Who stuck this parallel bar on my monitor!?!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I use profiles to switch from light to dark background.

FWIW -

Switching Profiles mid-session is infamous for causing issues, if the changes you're wanting to make are accessible to either Visual LISP, or .NET APIs, I'd really suggest that instead.

• 4 weeks later...

so the ppl who use a black background......you plot yellow as black or something like that? and white as black?

this is going to cause mass confusion in my office :-)

so the ppl who use a black background......you plot yellow as black or something like that? and white as black?

this is going to cause mass confusion in my office :-)

Any color of line is plotted black, assuming the plot is B&W.

omg......b&w

i must admit, a well drawn drawing looks fantastic in b&w, but for clarity, i personally need ppl to get mine in colour. especially if it's for the installers.....

but i'm going to give a black background a decent try.

omg......b&w

i must admit, a well drawn drawing looks fantastic in b&w, but for clarity, i personally need ppl to get mine in colour. especially if it's for the installers.....

but i'm going to give a black background a decent try.

I really don't understand your confusion. Whether using a black background, a white background, or any other color background the lines can be plotted B&W, in color, or a mixture of B&W and color.

Most of my stuff is not reproduced in multiple sets so I plot with most things as black with color for new work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed from black to dark gray. Most importand is to get a color that is easy on your eyes and also to keep the lighting you work in, consistant

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Its funny I always use to use black until I came upon Revit. If you are drawing just 2d and dont really care about the presentation I would draw in black. However, a good point was made to me when I started going into 3d. Draw the way you want it to look when printed. Unless your printing on black paper you mine as well use a white background (paper color). I think black being better for your eyes is an illusion. To each is own!