Fatal Error - tried re-installing autocad 2012, but failed to reinstall everything

soxgreen

I had the free student version of autocad 2012, and it worked fine for a couple of months. Then a couple of days ago, I suddenly could not open the program. I did not try to open a specific file, just the autocad program itself. It showed me this error message:

fatal error unhandled e0434352h Exception at fd4ca49dh

I don't know what this means, so I tried to repair the program from the computer's control panel. It said the repair was successful, but the error message continued to appear. I uninstalled autocad and downloaded it again from the autodesk website. I re-installed it, but it said that parts of the program failed to install. I would try to use the program anyway, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer, so I assume the installation failed completely.

I have tried restarting my computer, downloading and reinstalling again - both 64bit and 32bit. I have Windows7. Also, I saved the list the program gave me of what successfully installed and what failed to install, so I can provide that if it would help. Let me know if you need more information. I don't know much about computers, and I have no idea what else to do! Thank you for any help!!

At this point to uninstalled/reinstalled so often you've probably compounded the problem. When you did your uninstalls did you follow AutoDesk's recommended procedure? You might have to resort to a wholly independent uninstaller to clean up the bits and pieces left over in the Registry. I recommend Revo Uninstaller.

If you are using McAfee anti-virus software you will have to disable it when installing ACAD these two programs don't seem to play nice together.

I had a similar problem a few months ago and found that one of the windows updates messed up my computer. I did a system restore to 2 weeks before the updates and it worked. Hope you get your program working.

Half the people who come here with a problem never create a Restore point prior to loading any software or installing any updates. I don't understand why that is. Nice to see that someone does.

Thanks for the suggestions! I had already tried restoring to a point a couple of weeks before the problem started in hopes that it would automatically be fixed. No such luck. I tried uninstalling according to autodesk - wow I had no idea these files are saved in so many places! I tried installing after that. Still nothing. I uninstalled the virus protection programs (couldn't figure out how to simply disable them :?) and tried installing autocad. Again, nothing. It goes through the installation process, but in the end says the everything failed to install.

When I looked at the log of what was successful and what failed, it said something about .Net 4.0 failing. So I tried installing .Net 4 from a microsoft website, but that also failed to install due to a fatal error. I don't what else I can do besides completely restoring the computer to factory settings (bah, what a pain!), and even then, I'd just be hoping autocad would work.

I know this is an autocad forum, but does anyone know anything about .Net 4.0? (I have no idea what that is) Or fatal errors? Or maybe something else to try before getting rid of everything on my computer? Thank you!

Guess what? AutoDesk has a procedure outlined for installing .NET posted at its website. I don't understand how it is you are having so many problems. Are you sure you selected the correct version for your system?