Autocad 2012 compared to 2002

iainlines

Hi all,

Now I know I've left it a long time but I am upgrading from 2002 to either 2011 LT (cheaper) or going the whole hog and getting 2012. Can anyone give me a quick, basic rundown on the fundamental differences? Bit of an ask I know but I have to start somewhere

Thanks

Iain

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• iainlines

Top Posters In This Topic

If you work with 3D models get vanilla AUTOCAD 2012, so that you can get the VIEWBASE function. Are you talking about AUTOCADLT 2012, or vanilla AUTOCAD 2012?

If you're going LT, I wouldn't get anything less than AutoCAD LT 2012. In LT 2012 they added a lot of great functionality only found previously in full versions, like the Sheet Set Manager, etc.

Hi all,

Now I know I've left it a long time but I am upgrading from 2002 to either 2011 LT (cheaper) or going the whole hog and getting 2012. Can anyone give me a quick, basic rundown on the fundamental differences? Bit of an ask I know but I have to start somewhere

Thanks

Iain

You talking differences between 2002 and 2012 or full version versus LT? If it's 2002 vs 2012...a basic rundown would be "night and day". I have 2010 and if I had made the jump from 2002, I'd think I'd stepped into a whole new world. Even if you go to LT, you'll be amazed at the difference. If your asking about the differences between LT and full version, you'll not be doing any 3d, and unless they've finally decided to add it, no LISP in LT.

The RIBBON. Be afraid....be very afraid.:twisted:

I've had nightmares about that thing! For some dang reason I can't stay away from it though but I'm certain it is the reason for all my AutoCad problems. It has to be I just know it!;)

In terms of functionality there has been some changes, but nothing really dramatic. Obviously there are more features (geometric constraints, the view cube etc). Now the most srastic thing you will see is the CUI changes. They went to a ribbon style (think 2007 or newer versions of office programs). It takes some getting used to but I have found its much more efficint in terms of space than the older way.

I'm not sure of the differences between 2012LT and vanilla, but in the past they have removed all LISP functionality of the LT version which is a pain, but easily work-aroundable.

In terms of functionality there has been some changes, but nothing really dramatic.

I would disagree with this depending on your usage. Interface changes are definitely the big part, but then there are simple things such as the Layers II toolbar, or the Sheet Set Manager, or the DLINE command, Tool Palettes.... even for LT the list goes on and on for the huge additions it's received in the past ten years.

I would disagree with this depending on your usage. Interface changes are definitely the big part, but then there are simple things such as the Layers II toolbar, or the Sheet Set Manager, or the DLINE command, Tool Palettes.... even for LT the list goes on and on for the huge additions it's received in the past ten years.

I should have stated "functionality that is presnt 2002". There have obviously been many additions, bu the functionality that was present in 2002 hasnt changed much going into 2011-2012 versions.

I made the switch from vanilla v2002 to v2011 Architecture a while back.

I was able to use it for 2D stuff pretty much right away without too much of a learning curve. Most of my learning curve was from the nature of going from regular (or "vanilla") AutoCAD to AutoCAD Architecture.

Some great things I noticed right away:

1. Things get highlighted before you click on them so you know what will be selected / erased etc. before you do it.

2. There's a built in pdf output...works really well. A very valuable addition.

3. No need to enter "M" to copy multiple - it just copies multiple by default. Why it was ever the other way I don't know.

4. The whole paper space / layout space set up is better to work with. Way easier to work with the layers and freeze viewport layers, lock viewports and improved scale tools etc.

5. There were no Express tools in the 2002 version...LAME! I had to migrate them from v2000. Not sure if Express tools are available in LT now(?). Revision cloud is standard now in all versions I think, but I still use "Convert to MText" a lot and "stretch multiple" once in a while and a few others.

6. The new palettes with auto hide are nice. I leave the properties palette up 100% of the time now.

7. I don't mind the ribbon - I just customized my quick access tool bar to my needs and I'm good to go. It's still possible to create as many custom tool bars as you want, so you could just do that and auto hide the ribbon.

8. Not currently using the sheet set manager, but I probably should - it seems to be a very good thing. I don't really know what it's all about yet though.

Edited by Cad Monkey 2
8 plus ) for numbering made a emoticon

I started on 2009, using the dashboard, which lasted about 5 minutes. Still not a big fan of the RIBBON, but you can turn it off and go middle school and use toolbars, which is how all of my different workspace configurations are set up. Occasionally I might have use for the RIBBON, like if I am tweaking something I have saved using the ACTION RECORDER.

Right, thanks all for the messages. Safe to say I am now terrified. Getting hold of older versions is somewhat difficult so what choice do I have in making the leap from 2002 (full version) to 2012? The problem is am getting a new computer which will obviously be 64 bit, 2002 is not. 2002 suits me fine for what I need it for but it won't be long before my computer (with xp) gives up the ghost completely.

Any suggestions of what to do rather than make such a radical leap? I work mainly in fairly simple 2D with the occassional 3D (still pretty simple stuff) thrown in

Cheers

Iain

And there was me thinking I was the only one with this dilemma :o:oops: I've been using 2002 "vanilla" (had absolutely no idea what that meant until I read through the thread and someone kindly put "regular" next to it) since, well, 2002. I've always been comfortable with using 2002 - I work as a building services engineer plotting mechanical and electrical layouts so its always suited me fine. Recently though (since the 2010 update certainly), the thing that has started to frustrate me most about using 2002 is having to constantly convert architects/clients drawings from a latter version so that I can work on the plans and update any information. So, I've considered taking the plunge and finally updating. Now my query is with the LT and "vanilla" versions - what's the difference? I only do 2D plans anyways but is it worth paying the extra money and going the whole hog, or will the LT version be suffice? Also, people have mentioned the vast difference between the 2002 and 2012 versions; although I consider myself competent with 2002, would I be better off scouring the internet to purchase an earlier version?

I have LT 2011 and probably 95% of the commands that are in 2002 are the same or similar enough to use that it wouldn't be much of a learning curve. They have a new features workshop that provides simple demo's of the new commands which was enough for me to teach myself how to use them. Plus there are many helpful people on this forum if you get stuck.

Cadius if you don't do any 3d and you don't use LISP or VBA I'd get LT and save yourself a few thousand pounds.

Ianlines check out google sketchup, if that covers your occasional 3d needs then you could save a few thousand too.

Alternatively you could both check out BricsCAD. I had a 30 day trial and it seemed to work well, unfortunately I went on holiday and didn't use it enough to play with the 3d side of it. The only thing I'd miss using BricsCAD would be tool palletes which I use all the time, but their sales guy says they are looking into doing something similar.

There is no reason why you could not continue to use 2002. Get your new 64-bit computer and load Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. Then using VMware run XP in a virtual machine and utilize 2002.

There is no reason why you could not continue to use 2002. Get your new 64-bit computer and load Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. Then using VMware run XP in a virtual machine and utilize 2002.

That would be my suggestion, if you would rather keep 2002.

I really don't see the big deal in upgrading, most features will work the same and you can start with classic workspace and work your way up to what you need.