beginners beginner- Help with drawing setup

udo

Some people have a difficult enough time drawing something in 2D let alone 3D.

Everyone in a community college setting should have to take a mandatory course in manual drafting for one semester. Then they'll be more appreciative of what CAD can do.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udo

• ReMark

• Tiger

• stevsmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hi there again,

it took me a while but i went and bought that bible and have been busy trying to study it. it is quite boring and dry (for me at least) but i am going to stick it through. 3 month and i managed 4 chapters...

frau finkelstein is confusing me a little (she works in inches) but more annoying for me at the moment is that she explains how useful switching on the grid is, but it won't show on my screen? what am i doing wrong here - i don't know.

i also did not understand how to set the screen so that i can actually see my drawing in a reasonable size.

any chance for some help here?

how useful switching on the grid is, but it won't show on my screen? what am i doing wrong here - i don't know.

i also did not understand how to set the screen so that i can actually see my drawing in a reasonable size.

any chance for some help here?

AutoCAD 2008 uses what they call an "adaptive" grid. The idea being that as you zoom out, fewer dots are displayed. In practice (certainly for metric) the resolution is absolutely useless. At the bottom of your screen is a GRID box. Right click this and TURN OFF adaptive grid. All will become much clearer. (I hope)

i have toyed with the idea of learning autocad for years. have played around with many versions and was always confused as ever. finally i have taken the pluge and splased out and bought autocad 2008.

i also bought a tutorial cd on the net and i searched the net for tutorial options.

all those tutorial use a different pageview than the one on my computer and none of the tuts teach how to set up the page. now i find it cofusing to say the least when i am supposed to learn from a page that looks utterly different then mine.

at this stage i can't even draw a line.

is there anyone out there who can help me to set my page up to match any of the existing tutorials???

help please.

Hey Udo

Trust me when I tell you that when I started with AutoCad around 18 months back I just thought, there is no way I would ever be able to learn using it. I was busy at the time with heaps of work, Architectural. I was freaking out as I had a deadline with all my work, plus I had to earn a living as I work for myself. Just bite the bullet and keep at it and I promise all of a sudden you will not even think about picking up a pen and paper again, and you will wonder how you will ever live without the program. Buy the AutoCad bible and The AutoCad 2009 desk ref for dummies book. Both are great.

Hang in there.

Dodge.

I sugest you start with understanding the UCS and how to draw lines on the X,Y plane. Get comfortable with that and then move on to triming objects and moving them on the same x,y plane. Pay attention to the command line and the order in which the program prompts you through the commands. You find that a lot of the other cammands will ask you the same things (base points, distance, select object, etc). After you get comfortable with that you can start delving into the more advanced drawing and modifying commands. Dont worry so much if you donta have all the toolbars or colors as the tutorials just get comfortable with the basic interface/prompts of the commands.