Fastest way to get to "Options"?

nestly

Just for fun, I did some "figgerin"....if it takes a full second to hit o+p+enter, and you cut out one of those, you save a third of a second. So, every time you do this three times, you've saved a second. You'd have to do that sixty times to save a minute. At 20 times per day, it would take 3 days to save that minute. Assuming 260 workdays per year and that you do this each and every day, over the course of a year you'd save 86.6 minutes. That's three extra coffee runs!

sorry...couldn't resist. I'm not making fun of you, it's just one of those things I found amusing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• Jack_O'neill

• BlackBox

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Point taken, Jack, but there's more to it than "just" time.

I bet you'd be pretty cranky if you lost the ability to use one or more of your favorite AutoCAD "shortcuts" ;)

I don't really believe in karma, but if I did, a case could probably be made that if I hadn't stopped posting at Cadtudor, I wouldn't have forgotten what I learned when I was posting here regularly. :oops:

You could have a macro, quick key, etc. that would open options to the tab you want, saving milliseconds having to pick on that tab name.

The command is +Options, then it prompts for the tab, with the first being 0 and counting by one from there.

So the macro would be something like +Options 0 for Files Tab, or +Options 5 for System Tab

It's not Alt & F I was it?

Nope, that brings up the File menu

For now, I''ll just assign something easy like "CTRL+Left Arrow" to execute the _options command, but I'm still going to keep my eyes open for the "real" shortcut.

I was just kidding you about all that Nestly, no offense intended. I'm thinking it must have been something you or a colleague cooked up. I loaded the vanilla profiles on both my 2010 and 2007 machines and looked at the all the original shortcut keys, pgp files and anywhere else I could think of and couldn't find anything other than 'OP' for a shortcut. Must have been a custom one that you or a buddy invented.

Don't you just hate it when you know there was something you used to use all the time and can't find it again? Drives me nuts when that happens. What will happen is you'll make a new one, get everybody used to it and you'll stumble across the old one somewhere.

I know you're just joking around. It's really not anything I added, it's just undocumented. If I ever find it again, I'll be sure to post it here.

You topic reminds me of the new teacher reporting for the first time. Not knowing where anything is she(he) stops a student in the hallway and ask "What's the quickest way to the principal's office" The student replied with "F*ck UP" :lol:

Dadgad said righthand click on the COMMANDLINE....this gives you options everytime...a right click and options is there..thats pretty quick...i cant imagine what would be quicker actually....???

Dadgad said righthand click on the COMMANDLINE....this gives you options everytime...a right click and options is there..thats pretty quick...i cant imagine what would be quicker actually....???

I agree whole heartedly. I hate to take my hand off the mouse. One right click, one left click, you're in. :wink:

I think it was either 1) a custom command the OP remembers or 2) a figment of his imagination. There are many things that will alter one's perception of reality.

I think it was either 1) a custom command the OP remembers or 2) a figment of his imagination. There are many things that will alter one's perception of reality.

1) Not a custom command. There was nothing in the PGP or CUI for options other than what's OOTB

2) Not imagination (see 11 seconds into this video )

3) An obscure and undocumented feature known to few, and forgotten by some.

I didn't start frequenting AutoCAD websites and discussion forums until mid to late 2010 when I upgraded to AutoCAD2011, so I doubt I new about it before then, and haven't used 2012 enough to say for certain whether I've ever tried to open 2012's Options that way.

It is ridiculously simple, it's either a key combination, or a key and a mouse button. I've set up Ctrl+left arrow to open Options for now because those keys are side-by-side on my keyboard and I can get them quickly without looking. The other shortcut wasn't any faster or simpler, it just irritates me that I can't remember or find it again.

I've searched on the following....

"autocad"+"undocumented commands"

"autocad"+"hidden commands"

"autocad"+"deprecated commands"

"autocad"+"tips & tricks"

I have yet to find anything more than what has already been said here. And I went as far back as AutoCAD 2000.

Yeah, I've searched here, at the Autodesk forums, and at Augi, which seem like the most likely places I picked it up, but haven't found anything yet.

If I find it again, or bang my head and suddenly remember it, I'll surely post it, until then feel free to think my elevator stops short of the top floor. :)

Well you have intrigued me enough that I'll probably continue to look over the next day or so.

I did find something that I had forgotten about and that was the aerial view that AutoCAD used to have. Well it is technically gone but not forgotten. One can get it back by typing .DSVIWER at the command line. The idea for aerial view was stolen by AutoDesk from a company called nth Engine (located in Texas I believe). They used to sock you a pretty penny for their graphics card and software as I recall but the functional of what they called the "Birdseye" was pretty impressive at the time.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about aerial view. Last time I saw that was probably when I was using LT in the late 90's.

As best I can recall, I didn't find it in topic about undocumented or hidden commands, it was just something mentioned in passing as another way to open Options and I remember thinking "Geez, that's simple, how come I never heard about that before?"