Plot to PDF EXACTLY as I see it? (no color changes)

djbeatsent

I think I am being misunderstood. This file will NEVER be put on paper. It is an electronic file (plant layout) to be viewed on adobe reader in PDF form. I currently have:

The background that is standard for AutoCad 2012, which is a grey color.

Many different color lines, each for a different purpose.

I want to take what I see right now, and make that a viewable PDF document. I don't want ANY colors changed in any way when it moves to a viewable PDF file.

I see the source of the confusion then. I could be wrong about this, but as far as I know, there is no way to produce anything but a white background in a pdf file, regardless of what autocad's background is set at. You will need to choose colors that will show up on a white page, and create a custom plot style to make sure the colors you want are what you get. I suppose you could add a rectangle or something to the drawing back behind everything with a solid hatch to get a different background, but that's a lot of trouble to go to.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djbeatsent

• RobDraw

• Jack_O'neill

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like this?

[ATTACH]32676[/ATTACH]

Ok...so Rob knows something I don't. Not surprising...I tend to lag behind in technology...:lol:

And no..I was NOT there when blue prints were invented!

I tried using a hatch sent to the back, but both black and white are still plotted black. :/

I see the source of the confusion then. I could be wrong about this' date=' but as far as I know, there is no way to produce anything but a white background in a pdf file, regardless of what autocad's background is set at. You will need to choose colors that will show up on a white page, and create a custom plot style to make sure the colors you want are what you get. I suppose you could add a rectangle or something to the drawing back behind everything with a solid hatch to get a different background, but that's a lot of trouble to go to.[/quote']

ugh, I give up. I cannot screenprint due to the size.

Here is the file: http://www.4shared.com/photo/3AQgd0BW/Plant_Layout-_1-3_A.html

Here is what my screen looks like: http://www.4shared.com/photo/t5zcTZ6Q/CadPic.html

Anyone who figures out how, I will tell everyone I know that you are the smartest person I know. OBO. ;)

I tried using a hatch sent to the back, but both black and white are still plotted black. :/

That's why i said you'd need to play around with a custom plot style. You'll have to go through and assign pens and colors using the plot style manager.

Clipped from the help files:

A plot style controls an object's plotted properties.

A plot style is an object property, similar to linetype and color. A plot style can be assigned to an object or assigned to a layer. A plot style controls an object's plotted properties, including

• Color
  • Dither
  • Grayscale
  • Pen number
  • Virtual pen
  • Screening
  • Linetype
  • Lineweight
  • Line end style
  • Line join style
  • Fill style

Using plot styles gives you great flexibility because you can set them to override other object properties or turn off the override as needed.

Groups of plot styles are saved in either of two types of plot style tables: color-dependent (CTB) or named (STB). Color-dependent plot style tables set style based on the color of the object. Named plot styles can be assigned to an object independent of color.

You can read all about creating them in the help files. You can change the width of the lines, thier colors, all that stuff and make it look exactly like you want it. You can set up different ones for different sizes of paper, different customers, gray scales for those with non color printers, all sorts of stuff. Does take some time, and some getting used to, but once you figure it out you'll be able to make your PDF files look any way you want them to simply by changing the plot style.

I don't know about the PDF, but if you try the WMFOUT, but set the system variable WMFBKGND to ON, you can get an image with the screen coloured background.

I am wanting to plot a file to PDF exactly as I see it.

Perhaps you could confirm what is the background colour of your screen.

If you want a PDF that has a black background, then I haven't seen too many sheets of black paper around. Please remember that PDF stands for Portable Document Format, and it is an electronic piece of paper that they have not yet got round to having a black background.

Perhaps you could confirm what is the background colour of your screen.

If you want a PDF that has a black background, then I haven't seen too many sheets of black paper around. Please remember that PDF stands for Portable Document Format, and it is an electronic piece of paper that they have not yet got round to having a black background.

That's hogwash. PDFs are used for graphic purposes all the time with black background! (logos, signs, flyers)

That's hogwash. PDFs are used for graphic purposes all the time with black background! (logos, signs, flyers)

No need for rudeness.

As stated already, through the use of IMAGES. You will need to make your drawing an image.

No need for rudeness.

As stated already, through the use of IMAGES. You will need to make your drawing an image.

I'm sorry for the rudeness :oops:. I am just getting frustrated because what I am wanting to do seems easy, but neither I or anyone else can figure it out. I need to make it an image, but using bmp will not allow me to view the file at the same quality. If it is so simple, why can't we figure it out! I tried taking a super high res screen shot, but even that got very blurry when I zoomed in (because it was zoomed out so much to fit it all on one shot).

A lot of legwork has been put into this file to meet my bosses demands, now it may be late due to such a simple problem. I am frustrated.