Trackballs

Glen1980

Glen, you've got something serious going on there. The pain will not go away unless you make changes to be more ergonimic. I caught mine before sugery was necessary. It may not be too late and seeing a doctor might be in order.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glen1980

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

• Dana W

I mentioned it to the rhuematologist I was refered to and she has written to my GP and instructed me to ge t a workplace ergonomic assessment which has started almost straight away.

Still blooming well hurts though!

I just adjusted the way I use my key board and mouse, not sure how to explain it but since i have had no flair ups from computer usage, now its just the darn hedge trimmers that get my arthitis and carpel riled up .....

I mentioned it to the rhuematologist I was refered to and she has written to my GP and instructed me to ge t a workplace ergonomic assessment which has started almost straight away.

Still blooming well hurts though!

and your from Herts. Maybe you should move.

I used a standard mouse for a while today and, sure enough, that pain started coming back.

Couple years ago when I was welding and grinding for a few months, I couldn't sleep my hands hurt so bad. Get an arm/wrist brace, helps alot. My sister has had 3 surgeries, no effect. She has a special made arm/wrist brace. I just bought mine from the Walgreen's drug store, it works, I just need to start wearing them. I use both hands (don't even think about it).

(don't even think about it).

Think about what? :unsure:

My wife had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands at the same time a few years ago. It had gotten to the point that she quit using breakable plates and glasses because she could be walking across the kitchen and her hands would go numb and just turn loose of whatever she was carrying. She'd try to write and the pen would fall out of her grasp. Once she got healed up, the doc she had gave her a routine of exercises and stretches to do and her hands are stronger now than they've ever been.

I just adjusted the way I use my key board and mouse, not sure how to explain it but since i have had no flair ups from computer usage, now its just the darn hedge trimmers that get my arthitis and carpel riled up .....

Thankfully the rhuematologist has confirmed that I don't have Arthritis, although it still hasn't made the pain go away, so I don't think it is my Hypochondria this time.

and your from Herts. Maybe you should move.

I used a standard mouse for a while today and, sure enough, that pain started coming back.

There might not be any need they are talking of Bishop's Stortford (town where I live) declaring itself a part of Essex! I've always secretly wanted a Ford XR3i :D

Since I used the mouse on Tuesday my shoulder has been unbearable. I thought I'd be fourty at least before I started getting aches and pains! Apparently I've alway been grumpy though :shock:

Thankfully the rhuematologist has confirmed that I don't have Arthritis, although it still hasn't made the pain go away, so I don't think it is my Hypochondria this time.

There might not be any need they are talking of Bishop's Stortford (town where I live) declaring itself a part of Essex! I've always secretly wanted a Ford XR3i :D

Since I used the mouse on Tuesday my shoulder has been unbearable. I thought I'd be fourty at least before I started getting aches and pains! Apparently I've alway been grumpy though :shock:

You need to take a good look at your furniture arrangement if you are experiencing that much pain. With your back against the back of the chair, adjust the arms so that your arms are more or less level when using the mouse and keyboard. The seat of your chair should be level as well, or tilted slightly back so that gravity holds you in the chair. Your knees should be slightly elevated so that circulation is not restricted by the edge of the chair, so you may need a foot rest. You'll probably have to raise or lower your seat height to get your arms and hands in the right position. I know, the foot rest thing is something especially guys balk at, but believe me, after you use one for a couple of days and get all this other stuff set, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. Your mouse should not be a stretch to get to, have it over close to your keyboard. If you use reading glasses or bifocals, lower your monitor and move it around to bring it into the focal length of your glasses. You may even need to tilt it back a bit. If you are raising your head so that your nose is pointed up to see the monitor, it's too high. That tenses the muscles in your neck and shoulders. Drop it down and pull it closer to you. Don't be afraid to raise that chair up either. Get that foot rest (I use a small wooden shipping crate that just happened to be the right size), all the office supply places have them. When you get your body back into a natural position, you won't believe how good you will feel at the end of the day.

I used to get shoulder pain while working at the office, and working at home didn't bother me at all. Then one day I realized the pain was coming from where the boss's whip was hitting me.

No, but seriously folks... Then one day I realized that the arms of my chairs were at different heights. At the office, my chair arm was roughly 1 1/2" lower in relationship to my desk top than my chair at home, while the seat heights were pretty much equal. I adjusted my office chair arms a bit higher and the discomfort went away. The arms are about an inch higher than my desk. The reason this seems to have worked is that I habitually rest my mouse arm elbow on the chair arm. At the office I apparently compensated with some subconcious shoulder drooping.

The boss's whip issue was resolved by me wearing a baseball cap with the Beretta logo embroidered on it.

I've just stuck my old gel mouse wrist rest onto the arm of my chair and planted my elbow on it. Much more comfortable.

Well, there ya go. do you have any suggestions about whip scarring?

It doesn't sound at first like an inch would make that much difference but it will (here we go to the out of context thread, I can see it now).

If you have to hold yourself in your chair with your feet because the seat is too high, that will cause an amazing amount of fatigue by the end of the day. If gravity will keep you there, your legs aren't pushing against the floor all day. Chair arms should support your arms, but not push your shoulders out of level or cause you to slump. This should also be where your mouse and keyboard are. If they are higher than the tops of your chair arms, you have to reach up from the elbow, then bend your wrists back down to counter that, and that puts your forearms and shoulders in a twist all day long. People talk about getting cushy office jobs, but I'm telling ya....I've been on both sides and there are times when working in the machine shop all day didn't hurt nearly as much as sitting in that chair all day.

It doesn't sound at first like an inch would make that much difference but it will (here we go to the out of context thread' date=' I can see it now).

If you have to hold yourself in your chair with your feet because the seat is too high, that will cause an amazing amount of fatigue by the end of the day. If gravity will keep you there, your legs aren't pushing against the floor all day. Chair arms should support your arms, but not push your shoulders out of level or cause you to slump. This should also be where your mouse and keyboard are. If they are higher than the tops of your chair arms, you have to reach up from the elbow, then bend your wrists back down to counter that, and that puts your forearms and shoulders in a twist all day long. People talk about getting cushy office jobs, but I'm telling ya....I've been on both sides and there are times when working in the machine shop all day didn't hurt nearly as much as sitting in that chair all day.[/quote']

I had my Ctrl+C all poised but your second sentence furled my spinaker.:lol:

I've just stuck my old gel mouse wrist rest onto the arm of my chair and planted my elbow on it. Much more comfortable.

I have my wrist rest under my elbow, also. It really does help. :thumbsup:

Well, there ya go. do you have any suggestions about whip scarring?

Take it like a man and stop whining. :thumbsup: