Which do you prefer? Ribbon or Classic Tool Bar

khama

I for one don't enjoy using the ribbon. It really slows me down and I can't find all of the functions easily. When I use toolbars I can set it up the way I want to.

What is your poison? I am curious?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squirltech

• ReMark

• Tiger

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Editing is where I find the ribbon cumbersome and extremely slow. I mainly use hotkeys anyway, but the ribbon does not have the editing functions I require. Maybe I need to explore it more and customize it better. Like teaching and old dog new tricks I guess.. :lol:

I still use the Classic Interface in AutoCad, however, for Inventor I like the new Ribbon better then the old interface. We are getting the new Design Suite soon so maybe it's time to give the new Ribbon a try again...

After some initial disgust with the Ribbon I've learned to adapt by creating a customized version (i.e. - far fewer commands; just the ones I need) for 2D drafting and another for 3D modeling. I also keep one or two custom toolbars hanging around for old time's sake. I could see a day where AutoDesk deep sixes the menu bar.

It?

In the Terminator movie Sarah Connor’s answering machine says “Fooled you, this is just a machine, but machines have feelings too.”:o

I'll be back.8)

Machines LOVE beer! You should come by some time and meet my good friend Keg. Thanks!

I think I'm going to add a beer button to one of my toolbars and see if anyone notices it.:shock:

Machines LOVE beer! You should come by some time and meet my good friend Keg. Thanks!

I think I'm going to add a beer button to one of my toolbars and see if anyone notices it.:shock:

I have one of those. It's my custom "GO HOME" button. One click and my current drawing does a ZOOM EXTENTS, PURGE, QSAVE and EXIT. The icon is a beer mug. :beer:

I took my basic instruction in 2009, when the DASHBOARD was introduced, that didn't last too long. I rarely use the Ribbon, have numerous workspace configurations with lots of toolbars.

I love the Ribbon in Revit. AutoCAD, not so much, but then again I'm a keyboard junkie and it really doesn't matter for my line of work. I do have a custom Ribbon set up and I'm still working on it, when I get to a point where I like it I'll start using it instead. I know the day is coming where toolbars are going away in AutoCAD. There might be enough gripe from the community for it to not go away, but we'll all cross that bridge when we get there I suppose.

I use the classic workspace with a couple of custom toolbars. Like Styk, i'm a keyboard oriented drafter and the only reason i have any tool bars at all is because I'm too lazy to learn lisp, and I already know how to make things happen with scripts and toolbars (or menus). I do use a few tool pallets too, but they are mostly for inserting standard details, surrounds, hatches, etc. I turn them off when not needed.

Way back in the DOS days, the company I worked for had a little batch program that would run when autocad started that would give you hot keys by hitting the alt key and a letter. We put all the osnaps in that, as well as a lot of our lisp routines. For instance, instead of typing "quad" or picking it off the digitizer (some of you may remember those) we would simply hit "alt-q". Alt-e was endpoint, and so forth. When our boss, who was a tech junkie in those days, decided we were moving to a Windows platform, that little batch program no longer worked. So I added a menu to the pulldowns called "Quickkeys". It added a keystroke, but now instead of hitting the just the alt key, it was "alt-q" which would activate the pull down menu. To get the item you wanted, quad for instance, you'd hit "alt-q-q". A terrible thing in this modern day when folks are counting keystrokes to add a minute or two a month, but back then it was a life saver. Sure beat clicking the menu or toolbar with a mouse!

• 5 months later...
I have one of those. It's my custom "GO HOME" button. One click and my current drawing does a ZOOM EXTENTS, PURGE, QSAVE and EXIT. The icon is a beer mug. :beer:

I love this... I'm gonna make one right now

I detest the ribbon. Then again, I don't really use the toolbars all that much either. I'm a keyboard shortcut girl. I have the toolbars I like up, but most of them have been whittled down to only the commands I use.

I took my basic instruction in 2009, when the DASHBOARD was introduced, that didn't last too long. I rarely use the Ribbon, have numerous workspace configurations with lots of toolbars.

Wow... I thought I was the young one here... but you just made me feel like old salt around here.

I did my training in 2002... thought I was the baby.

Wow... I thought I was the young one here... but you just made me feel like old salt around here.

I did my training in 2002... thought I was the baby.

Not to worry, I'm 61 years old, it's all a matter of perspective. If all goes well, one day you'll be as young as me.

What is your favorite diversion on the Simonis?

R.I.P.

. :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

Classic, with one large horisontal locked custom toolbar, and 6 custom menus with a LOT of custom LSP's...

acad.pgp has also been modified for quick keyboard shortcuts.