Help Please - How can I get my mouse wheel to zoom and pan in ACAD 2010? Thanks

Davidbrittain11

OK does it pan when you press down on the wheel in ACad? Let's start there. I see you tried the AutoDesk support forum as well, good idea. Maybe between the 2 we can find a solution.

Sean

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davidbrittain11

• SLW210

• RobDraw

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SLW210,

When I type

findfile "acad.exe"

At the ACAD command line it just comes back as 'unknown command'. I tried just typing 'findfile' and also just 'acad.exe' but again - unknown command. Are you sure I need to type these words into the ACAD command line??

I have tried typing acad.exe into the file search box that comes up just above the start menu button when you click it, to see if it can show me where the acad.exe file is but that doesn't work either. Thanks anyway, but still stuck!

Hi F700es,

No - nothing happens at all when I press down on the wheel - it should turn into a pan hand but it doesn't. When I turn the wheel the drawing scrolls slowly up or down when it should zoom. So I know the wheel is doing something, just not what I need it to do.

Thanks for the post. I will keep scouring the net for an answer and will be sure to post it on here if I ever get one!

Hi Rob,

Yes it does. It even pans and zooms fine when I plug it into other computers running ACAD. Just my one it doesn't and I can't find out why!

Here's something for you to check.

Mouse.png

Make sure the HP mouse is selected. Or, maybe try disabling the mouse on your laptop.

SLW210,

When I type

findfile "acad.exe"

At the ACAD command line it just comes back as 'unknown command'. I tried just typing 'findfile' and also just 'acad.exe' but again - unknown command. Are you sure I need to type these words into the ACAD command line??

I have tried typing acad.exe into the file search box that comes up just above the start menu button when you click it, to see if it can show me where the acad.exe file is but that doesn't work either. Thanks anyway, but still stuck!

Hi F700es,

No - nothing happens at all when I press down on the wheel - it should turn into a pan hand but it doesn't. When I turn the wheel the drawing scrolls slowly up or down when it should zoom. So I know the wheel is doing something, just not what I need it to do.

Thanks for the post. I will keep scouring the net for an answer and will be sure to post it on here if I ever get one!

You need the parenthesis... (findfile "acad.exe")

SLW210,

OK - many thanks. I have succesfully founf the ACAD.exe location and added it to the list in X Mouse Control. I have checked to see that something is working as I tried disabling the scroll function under the 'Scrolling and Navigation' tab and it worked. But - how do I now make the mouse wheel zoom and pan in ACAD? There are no boxes to tick that specifically mention zoom and pan commands so I have no idea what to tick to make it do these functions.

Under the 'Layer 1 (Default) tab, I have looked at the options that appear when I click the pull down menu next to 'Wheel Up'. I was expecting to see a 'zoom in' option which would have been exactly what I need - but that is not there! Instead there are about 50 other options none of which indicate that rolling the mouse wheel up would zoom in. Same for 'wheel down' - no option that would 'zoom out'.

So any help you can give me on configuring the X Mouse Button settings for pan and zoom would be greatly appreciated - many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SLW210,

Sorry for delay in getting back to this forum - been away with work and other stuff. BUT - my damn mouse STILL doesn't work with AutoCAD 2010. I tried doing what you said in X Mouse Button but nothing changed at all when using the mouse in AutoCAD - still exactly the same. The wheel is useless - doesn't pan or zoom and its now really affecting my productivity! See the screen grab below - I have set it up exactly as you said but its done no good at all I'm afraid. I am going to reinstall AutoCAD and probably buy a better mouse which I can customize but my fear is it will turn out to be TOO customizable and therefore an impenatrable maze which wonlt give me what I need. I have seemingly tried everything else now and nothing works.

X Mouse button setup.jpg

Here's something for you to check.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33900[/ATTACH]

Make sure the HP mouse is selected. Or, maybe try disabling the mouse on your laptop.

Before you do the reinstall, have you checked this?

Hi RobDraw,

Tried that - I only have two options in that box - the 'current system pointing device' or a 'wintab compatible digitiser' option so the mouse is the first of these.

I am having no luck with anything I try and I have no idea why - its a simple thing that should be VERY EASY to set up and customise yet nothing I try works! Its really doing my head in now and I am so frustrated. I will have to contact Autodesk directly I think and get them to remote login to my machine and try to sort this out. if I have to pay for this service then fine - I need pan and zoom on my mouse wheel, simple as that!

LOL, I hear you but I don't think it is an AutoCAD problem since we have covered all those bases and then some. I would look closer at the settings on the laptop. Maybe there is a conflict with the software for the pointing device on that. Have you tried disabling that?

Hi chaps - many thanks for your continued help on this. My despair is probably rather pitiful but I am determined to sort this out!

Rob

I have Windows 7 and have looked at all the options under the 'Start - Control Panel - View Devices and Printers - Mouse' dialogue. See below for screen grabs for the tabbed options re. buttons and the wheel. Nothing that says 'pan and zoom' can be selected for the wheel. The wheel customisation options are very poor in fact - no help at all.

I also don't think its the mouse itself. I have today plugged in a different mouse, a Dell one this time and its exactly the same as the other HP mouse I used yesterday - no pan or zoom in AutoCAD despite setting MBUTTONPAN to 1 in AutoCAD as all the AutoCAD help documentation says to do. It has no effect on my laptop.

I'm thinking if its not the mouse itself (drivers are all up to date), not AutoCAD, then it could be some hidden away setting on the laptop somewhere?

Click Button settings in control panel.JPG

Wheel Button settings in control panel.JPG

SLW210,

Not sure what you mean - how do I try a repair on AutoCAD? Its running perfectly except for this damn mouse issue. You don't mean uninstall and reinstall again I presume?

You won't see pan and zoom in the system settings. I see the touchpad tab. Are you sure you are in the settings for your mouse and not the touchpad settings? I see the tab for the touchpad on there. Is that a separate set of settings. Try to disable the touchpad using your device manager, if that still doesn't work, (maybe?) uninstall the software for it.

David, let me look at my Dell laptops mouse properties this evening and I see what my settings are. Perhaps we can find an answer.

Sean

f700es - many thanks. Much appreciated.

Rob - thanks for the tip. I have found some new information. When I selent the touchpad tab on the dialogue I pasted into my message above. I then get an option to open a separate 'settings' dialogue. However, when it opens, its not just for the touchpad and stick - it also deals with the mouse. However, my initial hopes were dashed as the only options presented for customising the mouse were the same ones that are available if I went to the 'buttons, pointers, pointer options, wheel and hardware' tabs at the top of the 'Mouse Properties' dialogue box.

The only new thing I could do was to turn off the touchpad and stick, which I did. Still no luck with the mouse wheel though back in AutoCAD! maybe I need to turn off the laptop and restart - I will try that but am not confident.

See below for the scren grab of the mouse section of the touchpad tab!

Touchpad settings in control panel.jpg

SLW210 - do you mean within AutoCAD or somewhere else? The Tools menu option in AutoCAD 2010 gives me:

Options -Display but then nothing resembing Windows Elements?

Thanks

Dave