Autocad 13 - Other drawing windows

Jay Hatfield

I understand, but what if there's 10 drawings and you want to be able to select a specific one? I like the old way, but VIEW->SWITCH WINDOWS seems to be good enough. That's also cool

Then I select it by clicking on the appropriate icon in my Taskbar. Pretty simple. Find drawing name/number, click on it, drawing opens. I think there is a custom lisp routine somewhere that will display the same info but as tabs.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay Hatfield

• ReMark

• rkent

• amarcon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

understood, I just don't like having too many things in my taskbar if i have other windows, web pages, programs etc. but i definitely understand how that can help stream line cad work. I'll end up using that with control + Tab, now that you pointed it out, Thanks!

Regarding the other problem re:pasting between different versions. Could it be that it has to do with a change in the DWG file spec? Maybe the versions are so far apart it is the only way Windows can bring the data over into the older version.

i have two 22" monitors now, my boss actually has 3. lol I'll just have to learn to love it "autocad 2013" What's nice is i'm being forced to learn all the commands now that i have no clue where it is on the ribbon....hahaha!

There is something to be said to diving off a cliff into unknown waters. It can be both scary and exhilarating at the same time.

Re: copy/paste problem. WBlock out what you need from 2013 then use the INSERT command in the older version to bring the content into the drawing. You'll bypass the Windows Clipboard, save yourself a headache, and obtain the desired results.

thanks! that seems to work fine. I do like many of the functions on 2013, like the clickable commands, and the offset preview. Another thing i like is it seems more compatible to older versions. I usually run 2009 but I can't open some R14 drawings and 2004 for some reason... Thanks again ReMark!

1) If i have multiple windows open, how do i display them without minimizing the current window since there is not a window button.

You can use the Quick View Drawings button, lower right next to the Model or Paper button, not real quick but it gives you the name and an image of each drawing. You found the other one with View, Windows. You can use MENUBAR set to 1 to have the old and the new (Ribbon).

2) If i'm copying a cad drawing to an older version it pastes as an image file. Is there a way to get it to copy over as a drawing.

2013 is a new drawing format and so it won't paste into older files.

For finding commands in the Ribbon, go to the big A in the upper left, type a command name or search item, like Window, and it will show you where the command resides in the Ribbon as well as other places.

Try this - Go to 'X' Exchange and search for "DrawingTabs".

A free Plugin for quick dwg switching. Used to have a similar tool years ago. For me this is good as I can see the drawing names I'm switching between ;)