• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• dreamer

• SLW210

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the commandline within the SWEEP command you will find an ALIGN option, click on that and select NO. I think once you have done that you will be okay.

That seems so counter-intuitive doesn't it? A human can discern what the outcome should be but AutoCAD does just the opposite. Wonder why that is?

One would have thought that something like this would have been noticeable during the beta testing and addressed or am I not understanding how a Sweep command should work?

Is there a Sweep command in Inventor? If so does it behave the same way?

Is this normal behavior for a Sweep-like command in other CAD programs?

Were you able to reproduce the behavior without the original file?

What setting did the OP have for Align?

The parameters of the problem are not known.

Without the original file - all is speculation.

I did reproduce the behavior first raised by the OP's post.

I was able to correct the behavior as per Dadgad's advice by using the Align option of the Sweep command.

Did I work within the same parameters as the OP? My answer would have to be "no" since he did not provide a drawing file.

Is it still speculation? I would have to answer "no". I feel my test was sufficiently adequate to confirm or deny what the OP was referring to.

In my limited experience, and knowing less than nothing about programming, the default appears to be align, and unless you override it the programming takes over, for better or worse. Garbage in, garbage out. They aren't smart, so we need to be, eh? :beer:

It depends on the orientation of the source and path. In the video below, all the source objects are copies of the same arc. Three have been rotated, two have been mirrored.

Thank you for the video nestly. "It depends on the orientation of the source and path"

But do one just keep trying until one get the orientation of the source and path in the right way? Or what is the concept?

Attaching the file, please pick out where have I gone wrong.

Thanks.

sweep to wrong direction.dwg

Mostly trial and error I believe, You can try to predict the results, but trying to figure out the direction of the source and path relative to the current UCS is probably a lot more work than simply moving/orienting the source and path before you sweep.

Select the swept surface>Properties>Geometry>Profile Rotation>Adjust value to suite.

... every day I spend at Cadtutor is another day I learn something new. Kudos.

Select the swept surface>Properties>Geometry>Profile Rotation>Adjust value to suite.

May be because mine is 2010, there is no Profile Rotation.

May be because mine is 2010, there is no Profile Rotation.

Post an image of the properties box with the swept surface selected.

Sorry SLW210, I misunderstood you before and selected the Object instead of the sweeped object.

Ok I change the degree at Profile Rotation

Profile Rotation.jpg

Did you try profile rotation 270?

Usually if I am sweeping I will align the item myself, and choose NO for the ALIGN option.

While it is great to use the auto align function if you are working with a simple symmetrical object, for more complex sweeps just do the alignment and get on with your day.

Rotating the SWEEP simply rotates the profile around the path. You can't make it go the other direction by changing it's rotation property if it's attached wrong to begin with.

Rotate.gif

Aren't the 2 images in the previous post merely mirrored? It seemed to me that if the top one is correct you could either mirror it, or do a 3D rotate of 180?

I've not really jumped into the fray on this one, been watching from the bleachers, in passing.

Aren't the 2 images in the previous post merely mirrored? It seemed to me that if the top one is correct you could either mirror it, or do a 3D rotate of 180?

Yes and Yes. Mirroring would work, as would 3DRotate, but not merely rotating the sweep from the Properties palette. Then again, aligning the profile with the path before sweeping (as you've already suggested) eliminates the need to modify the sweep after it's created.