Total noob

bothal08

ok the grids are off now the thick black border limits what i can see of the drawing how can i make it bigger i am unable to click and stretch from the corners

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothal08

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dadgad

ok nvm i figured it out on layout 2 i deleted the old window and put in a viewport the size of the page and it fits nicely with a scale of 1:100

Did you assign a color other than black/white to your viewport? It might help to do so as it will make it more noticeable on your screen.

nope i didnt but its seems fine how it is and the scaling seems spot on the toilet seat is bigger than the page on a scale of 1:1 so must be right:lol:

Well it is entirely up to you since it is your drawing but since many new users default to black/white for just about everything in their drawing I like to make the suggestion just the same.

Did you separate out all your model space objects and put them on the appropriate layers or did you leave everything as it was originally?

well yeah i fitted just one of the floor plans onto one of the layouts so ill do one at a time...should work.

a while ago i saw something cool on cad it was also on a floor plan it was a circle which zoomed in on the object so u could label it away for the drawing (off to the side) if u knw what i mean???

I did not mean one floor plan per one layout. What I was referring to was the efficient use of layers which many new users tend to overlook. They put everything on one layer and in one color or they override the layer color which tends to drive me a bit crazy.

I believe your reference to a zoomed in circle is referring to a "detail". Yes, these can be constructed in AutoCAD using polygonal viewports.

ok i see what you mean flip its all starting to make sense now...how do u make polygon view ports??? with arraows to what ur "zooming" on??

and i tryn make a simple key table and the size is just all over the show so how could i make a table reffering to the appliances in the kitchen??

im being a pain so thanks for all the help

Use the TABLE command to create a table for referring to objects in your plan. Read up on the use of the TABLE command in your AutoCAD Help file (press F1).

The MVIEW command has an option for creating a polygonal viewport. Remember that this viewport that you are using to create a detailed view of a section of your drawing should have a much larger scale assigned to it so as to afford a better view of the object(s) one is detailing. This can be placed to one side of your main viewport and an arrow (drawn in paper space) can point back to the area of the drawing it is referring to. Understand?

You're a beginner so we'll make allowances for being "a pain" but there is a time limit! LoL

You're entirely welcomed. :)

ahh thanks man haha yeah im a beginner...im just very interested in CAD...ok so any tables will have to be made in model space

Personally, I would put the table in my layout and not in model space. Remember that in paper space everything is 1:1. If you like your text to be 5mm or 7mm in height that's what you use. If a line needs to be 50mm long that's how long you draw it.

I'm not sure I believe you. As a matter of fact I just inserted a table in a layout a mere 30 seconds ago. Try again.

I bet you didn't think I'd test it first. Gotcha!

Same answer as last time. It sounds very much like you are INSIDE your viewport which means you are in MODEL space not PAPER space. Click outside the viewport frame or use the Model/Paper button at the bottom of your screen. I'm going to have to mark you down on this one for failure to retain previously provided instructions. Short or long term memory loss not tolerated dude! LoL

I am not a chemical engineer although I played one on TV once. I call myself a "draftsman" as that is how I think of myself. My title at work is Senior CAD Designer. I got that title because "Dirt" is my younger brother!

You should know the difference between when you are in model space and when you are in paper space as there are visual clues to this that should be more than apparent.

yeah i figured it out thanks so any other tips on making top class floor plans???

i wanna knw how to make a border around the paper space and title blocks???

Border: It's like drawing on a piece of paper. You could use the rectangle command for the border. Make sure you keep it just inside the dashed lines you see on your screen. They represent the limits of what will be printed when the time comes. Anything on or over those dashed lines will not get printed.

Top class floor plans? Well, you could pick up a good architectural drafting/design book and it should have plenty of examples. I could provide you with a link to a website that has examples of architectural CAD drawings on it if you'd like. I've probably posted it a handful of times already including once today.