lockout

outofpocket

While I do feel some sympathy for the OP and his situation I do not agree that there is a legitimate reason to revert back to 2008. The OP should load 2009 and all updates along with any applicable hot-fixes. AutoDesk has no legal or moral obligation to support a piece of software that dates back to 2008. What documented bugs exist in the 2009 version of the software that were never fixed?

Didn't you install 2013 already.... why are you still using 2012?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• sparkyuk

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

AutoDesk has no legal or moral obligation to support a piece of software that dates back to 2008.

Who said anything about supporting it? ..... and 2009 would be out of support as well

What documented bugs exist in the 2009 version of the software that were never fixed?

Ummm, can you say RIBBON. There are serious performance issues with the early Ribbon .... not to mention that the Ribbon interface remains a contentious issue even today.

I'm using both and can do so legally since we are on Subscription.

I didn't ask if it was legal, I asked why you're not soley using 2013 (which you would be legally obligated to do if you had installed 2013 as an "upgrade" for more money than the price of a Subscription) Whether there's a "legitimate" reason to use one version over another has nothing to do with licensing.

Edited by nestly

Yes, as far as I know, AutoDesk no longer supports 2009 either but they did not tell the OP it could not be loaded. Is that correct?

And those issues were not addressed in any of the three updates that were released?

In the interest of peace and harmony I asked my friendly customer-support-guy at AutoDesk about a couple of things while I had him on the phone this afternoon.

As regards support for products (and i think someone here posted this in another thread recently) AutoDesk goes back just three releases which means 2010 - 2013 are supported. Support for 2009 ended not long after 2013 was released.

Regarding loading Mech 2008, as long as you did not load the 2009 version, it is not a problem. It is still just ONE license but as long as you haven't loaded 2009 it is perfectly fine if you go ahead and load 2008. Just be aware there is no support for either version any more. So give AutoDesk another call and explain the situation once again and ask them for a registration/activation number. Have a pen and paper ready or have them email the number to you. Good luck.

Good job ReMark, a virtual white knight, jousting with hidden line windmills, fingers crossed it all works out. :beer:

One other correction I need to make. The EULA states that unless the user is on Subscription the license to use a previous version (we are assuming the newest version has been installed) expires 120 days after the installation of the upgrade. It also goes on to say that the user must cease all use of any previous version and uninstall it as well.

Dadgad: Please either get out of the sun or wear a hat. I think your brain is a bit too warm at the moment.

One other correction I need to make. The EULA states that unless the user is on Subscription the license to use a previous version (we are assuming the newest version has been installed) expires 120 days after the installation of the upgrade. It also goes on to say that the user must cease all use of any previous version and uninstall it as well.

Dadgad: Please either get out of the sun or wear a hat. I think your brain is a bit too warm at the moment.

Cool :cold: heads prevail, is that where you're coming from? Right, good ideas! :sweat: :fishing: 8) :beer:

Not too sure about the "subscription" allowing the use of previous versions. We've had no end of troubles. Due to not being able to upgrade the hardware we were stuck using 2008 for some time, it was only at the start of this year that most of us were upgraded to 2012.

The problem previously was that if something broke (say HDD failed), then Windows & ACad had to be re-installed. We were NEVER able to re-install 2008 since 2011 came out. Several PC's here had 2009 installed due to this exact problem. 2009 is simply too buggy (even after the last SP) and too resource hungry for the hardware, so these poor guys kept on having crashes when the slowness of acad didn't frustrate them to death. Those were the first ones to get upgraded hardware so we could at least install something newer and less bug riddled.

And according to the EULA on our AutoDesk Building Design Suite:

1.2 Upgrades and Previous Versions.

1.2.1 Effect of Upgrades. If Autodesk or a Reseller provides Licensee with an Upgrade to other Licensed Materials previously licensed to Licensee, the Licensed Materials previously licensed to Licensee and any other Autodesk Materials relating thereto will thereafter be deemed to be a “Previous Version.” Except as set forth in Section 1.2.2 (Exception for Subscription Licensees), the license grant and other rights with respect to any Previous Version will terminate one hundred twenty (120) days after Installation of the Upgrade. Within such one hundred twenty (120) day period, except as set forth in Section 1.2.2 (Exception for Subscription Licensees), (a) Licensee must cease all use of any Previous Version and Uninstall all copies of the Previous Version, and (b) upon expiration of such period, such Previous Version will no longer constitute Licensed Materials but rather will be deemed to be Excluded Materials and Licensee will no longer have a license for any such Previous Version. At Autodesk’s request, Licensee agrees to destroy or return to Autodesk or the Reseller from which they were acquired all copies of the Previous Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require Licensee to show satisfactory proof that all copies of any Previous Version have been Uninstalled and, if so requested by Autodesk, destroyed or returned to Autodesk or the Reseller from which they were acquired.

1.2.2 Exception for Subscription Licensees. The termination of rights as to Previous Versions described in Section 1.2.1 (Effect of Upgrades) may not apply to Licensee if and to the extent (a) Licensee has a Subscription and the Subscription Program Terms authorize Licensee to retain such Previous Versions or (b) otherwise authorized in writing by Autodesk.

Note the so called "exception" referring you to section 1.2.2. Which again states that this "non-lockout" of previous versions is only available if it is such "special" subscription which states thus in it's agreement - which is not the normal sub. We've gone through this with our reseller as well as direct with ADesk. And we were simply told: "No, you are not allowed to even posses any CD/DVD/other copies of the old versions whatsoever, never mind installing them."