Keep layers from being deleted or purged

toberino

Great discussion guys but have you noticed that the OP (toberino) has yet to respond to any of your posts?

Why are we trying to lock layers toberino? Are we doing this so your co-workers don't erase them? If so, why not use the Standards Checker?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• ReMark

• Jeff H

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great discussion guys but have you noticed that the OP (toberino) has yet to respond to any of your posts?

Why are we trying to lock layers toberino? Are we doing this so your co-workers don't erase them? If so, why not use the Standards Checker?

I am listening....sometimes I have to be a drafter too...

The reason I would like to lock the layers is to have them available to other drafters working on the job after I have completed my portion of it. My company has offices all across the southwest and west coast and we are comprised of a couple of different companys through purchase (in fact our 5 years is up now and we are up for sale again) so our standards and practices are not exactly consistent across the board.

I have not had a chance to test anything yet but I will soon. I do appreciate and find ammusing the communications you all have when working through an issue or question. Rest assured I have not gone away and will report back soon. I have a couple of large jobs to get through and submitted to the City. I will add though that Lee Mac's point manager has been a life saver recently. I have literally cut the drafting time in half with this tool.

Thanks guys.

Never tested this idea but no reactors etc... but for poops and giggles see if you can purge layer 1 and layer 2 from drawing.

I cannot purge layer 1 or 2. Looking through the layers that cannot be purged I see there is a hidden***** layer as well. I am intrigued as to how you accomplished this. I do not see any block references in the design center either. Did you make blocks of the layers, then delete the geometry in the block, then insert the block?

:offtopic:

Interesting. Looks like a debugging tool that got left in the production code. But we all know that Autodesk never overlooks anything.

... More on the awesomeness that is [the new] DevBlog.

One of my pet peeves is unused layers that can't be purged, so I call your unpurgeable layers and raise you one LAYDEL command. POOF!!! :lol:

One of my pet peeves is unused layers that can't be purged, so I call your unpurgeable layers and raise you one LAYDEL command. POOF!!! :lol:

Me too nestly, but since adopting LAYMRG as my (less than perfect - workaround approach) go to weapon of choice, there is no such thing.

Even in both of the drawings which Jeff has posted, just takes a few seconds, using the select by NAME option, and they all become old news. :beer:

I just realized nestly, that you were saying the LAYDEL would zap them too, and so it does. :)

Edited by Dadgad

I think this one is better and do not have to hide blocks or create hidden layer etc..

would work for blocks, textstyles, etc...

try purging layer1,2, 3,

[ATTACH]35071[/ATTACH]

Allright, you have proven to me twice that it is possible, and it could be because I got up wayyy to early this morining, but I do not see how you are dooing it. Please show me the way....