Can't get maps to render in 3DS Max

KW_WJCA

Hi. This is my first post so I hope it goes well.

I recently learned and have started using 3DS Max, so I have a fairly good grasp on how the program works but I have been running into one major issue over and over.

I have been making high quality visualizations for my company (we do retail architecture). I make my model, add lighting, set up my cameras, apply all my materials, and enter all my rendering parameters. BUT as soon as I go to render, the maps refuse to render properly. Things like color and texture and finish type all render fine, but the image maps themselves will not render. i.e. If I apply a hardwood floor material it will render as a semi-glossy brown color, but you can't see the wood grain, or individual planks.

I don't seem to have any trouble with things like glass or reflective metal finishes, but when it comes to things like tile, or stucco, or wood, NOTHING looks realistic. As I'm trying to make these visualizations as stunning and professional looking as possible this issue has been a gigantic thorn in my side, and I have not been able to find any info on it anywhere else.

I've attached an image of my latest rendering for reference. The counter tops should be a wood grain, the soffit behind the sign should have a mosaic tile, and the floor should be a quarry tile. As you can see the whole thing looks very flat.

SHOPRITE KITCHENS_1_060112.jpg

I am using Mental Ray renderer, in conjunction with mental ray materials, standard materials, and autodesk materials. I believe I should also mention that the model was primarily built in sketchup and then imported into 3DS if that possibly has something to do with it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

It sounds like you have not applied UVW map modifiers to your models. Without UV coordinates, Max will not understand how to display bitmap images on your models.

There are lots of tutorials online that cover this subject. Take some time and read through a few of them and then come back if you still have questions: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Xzw&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=np&q=3ds+max+uvw+mapping+tutorial&oq=3ds+max+uvw+mapping+tutorial&aq=f&aqi=g-c1g-bK1g-q5&aql=&gs_l=serp.12..0i7j0i8i30j0i22l5.80189.80189.0.81194.1.1.0.0.0.0.137.137.0j1.1.0...0.0.AUyruWLINLw