Hatching makes PC hang

Hi again,

I have a serious problem when hatching in AutoCAD LT 2011, it's making my PC hang but only when I'm using the 'Add: Pick points' command. It's so bad that I can't even call up the task manager to stop the process and I have to switch it off and on again to get it working.

I've never encountered this before with earlier versions of AutoCAD, is there a way around this? It's driving me nuts!

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2011 on Windows Vista.

**EDIT**

Since opening my most recent backup file I think I may have found the cause.

I had inserted a .jpg image (150 x 150 @ 8KB) that I was using to trace around it and it was these tracings that I tried to hatch. I have since deleted the image and now the hatching causes no problems.

Edited by SAFeSTeR

Glad to hear you figured it out and thanks for updating us. Hopefully anyone who has a similar problem will see your thread and perhaps benefit by it.

• 4 months later...

This is a prob for me as well...5 to 6 times. Search net and found this tread. will close program again and try to turn image off, I need the .jpg so I can't delete.

Let you know if it works and thanks for the direction.

:D Well, I fixed it but do not know for sure what exactly itwas. This is what I did…

1.) Got in another file and hatch worked.

2.) Tried to just not show images, that didn’t work.

3.) Got back in hang-up file, unloaded all imagesand xref, -purge and Regapps, Audit and fix errors. The hatch popped right up…super-fast!

Didn’t try to previewthing so that may be a way as well.

Thanks for the reply!

God Speed!

OK...turn it all back on thinking I had it licked, did itagain. On retracing my steps one by one and testing at each step...the winner ismy Base (design) xref that has all surface contours on existing 1’, alignments,pipe networks, and profiles...xref to that is the TOPO as well; it’s huge so itwas just hanging because it had to read all of the xref data, overlay may havebeen a better way to go within attaching the file or just a no display of thesurface contours may have worked.

I’ll try that and report back.

After further testing, it is conclusive that my Base(design) file that is xref attached is huge and is the problem for hanging upthe file when I want to place a hatch.

Work around is to unload it, place the hatch, reload theBase (design) file.

FYI…when I say file is hung-up, it’s a 20-30 mins. with no response…hadto close program in Windows Task Manager.

Hope this info can help another person down the road so theycan avoid the frustration of my day today.

God Speed!

This issue has been around a long time. When using the "pick point" option of hatch when an XREF is present (I'm not sure if the XREF has to be a border or not.) causes AutoCAD to hang. Another workaround is to create a border for the hatch and use the "select object(s)" option. Just don't select the XREF.

Edited by RobDraw

That wasn't the case with me. Once you touched the hatch icon, keyin hatch or bhatch the program hung-up...the options to hatch was never able to appear. Once I unloaded the massive base (design) xref, it popped right up with no problems for any aspects of the hatch command.

Thank you for your imput with this topic.

God Speed!

BTW...love the avatar

Oh, okay. I do get a delay when initiating the hatch command for the first time but it speeds up for subsequent uses. I thought that was a separate network issue. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. Thanks.