how to apply hatch patterns to other objects by "apply properties"?

khoshravan

Probably this question has been asked before.

I have a hatch pattern in one of my objects.

I want to apply exactly the same hatch pattern to other objects but I don't remember the settings for original hatch.

There is a command in ACAD to apply properties of one object to others (brush icon in toolbar). I tries to use this command but it seams that it doesn't work for hatch. Am I correct?

What is easiest way to apply a hatch pattern from an object to the other one?

Drag/Drop the HATCH onto a Tool Palette. It saves all properties of that hatch pattern and you can apply it quicker and easier.

And yes, Match Properties does work for Hatches as well.

When you start the MATCHPROP command, with that little paintbrush icon,

if you read the commandliine prompts you will see the SETTINGS option,

enter S at the commandline and hit ENTER.

This will open the PROPERTIES SETTINGS dialogue box where you can specify

which properties you want to match.

HATCH is one of those options. It will change the properties of an existing hatch

to match those of a selected object's hatch. It will not CREATE a new hatch where there was NONE.

If you use the HATCH command instead to CREATE a new hatch in an area where there is no hatch,

you can use the INHERIT PROPERTIES button in the hatch dialogue box, as shown in the image.

That command MATCHPROP stands for MATCH PROPERTIES, it does not CREATE properties which do not exist, it MATCHES existing properties of a TARGET object to those of your specified source object.

StykFace's suggestion is a very good solution for those which you use routinely. :beer:

hatch inherit properties.jpg

Dear Dadgad

Thanks for your easy-to-understand reply.

I was unaware of Inherit Properties and learned that.

Also you are right. I want to create a new hatch based on an existing one which is different from match properties. So here the inherit comes to use.

Just to add a sentence, Inherit properties will make new hatch and get the color from active layer. I have to use match properties to change the color to what I want or change the active layer to what I want.

Styk

I didn't get your point. Which tool palette should I drag/drop the hatch? Actually I can't I can't drag the hatch. By selecting it, there is only a blue square to choose it. I can copy/move it but can't drag it. Could you please elaborate your reply?

The HATCH & GRADIENT DIALOGUE BOX has gotten a lot better in the last few years. If you expand all of the flyout menus, like in the image,

you can see that there are a great many ways in which the HATCH which you are creating can be customized to suit.

Typically when you create a new hatch, the default is to create it on the current layer, but you can override that default

in the OPTIONS sections in the center of the dialogue box.

One nice advance is the ability to set your HALOGAP here, which fills small gaps in the perimeter of a hatch definition, so if

you have holes in the defining geometry, it won't get kicked back, but rather accommodated, if the gaps are smaller than the

HATCH ALLOWABLE GAP (gap tolerance) which you have defined in the dialog box.

Hatch dialogue 2013.jpg

I would suggest creating a custom tool palette to put your hatch pattern on.

How can I create a custom tool palette for hatch patterns?

Simpler yes, but you have not clicked open the little FLYOUT menu arrow in the lower right hand corner of the dialogue box. :)

Simpler yes, but you have not clicked open the little FLYOUT menu arrow in the lower right hand corner of the dialogue box. :)

Wow. You are right. You opened a new window on me. Thanks a lot.

First, create a new tool palette. Tool palettes are not specific. They can be used for just about anything.

HEY, that is cool!

It may have been there before, and I just never noticed it, but I am on 2013 right not and if you press Ctrl+3 it opens a brand spanking new empty tool palette just waiting to be named and populated! :)

First, create a new tool palette. Tool palettes are not specific. They can be used for just about anything.

The information you seek is right at your fingertips.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS73099cc142f48755-1257e12111bf108800e-10a.htm,topicNumber=d0e6816

Thanks a lot.