Autocad 2013 Begginer problems

fredericofrg

You do not need to show both the RADIUS and the DIAMETER measurements on a circle.

It is understood, meaning that if you give either one of them, you don't need the other.

You also do not need to show 2 measurements between the 2 circles.

A single measurement from the center of one circle, to the center of the other circle is the norm.

The question you should be asking yourself as you DIMENSION (putting the numbers or measurements on) the drawing is,

could I make this part, if someone handed me this drawing. What I mean by that is, is there enough information?

While overall, this looks reasonably together, you have not indicated the OVERALL dimensions of the part, one for the LENGTH, and one for the HEIGHT.

Nor have you included dimensions indicating the locations of the HOLES in relation to the part in which they have been made.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• fredericofrg

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have fun with those :)

I personally could not think of anything worse to do than exercises like those if teaching AutoCad.

[ATTACH]37203[/ATTACH]

ok Thanks, i like this Palettes Panel very much ^^.

Ask you one thing i modify the precision to 0.00 how can i save this in all projects because i create new project to do the 1.2 and apear again 0.80000.

To save the setting you would have to modify then save your drawing as a Template file. Template files are saved with the .DWT file extension. I'm guessing that so far you have been using the default template file called acad.dwt.

By the way, in your image of Exercise 1.2 it really isn't necessary to provide the overall dimensions on the top, right or bottom. I did that in my example to you to demonstrate that the total lengths of the top and bottom were same as were those of the left and right sides.

One other comment. It is NOT a good practice to have extension lines or the lines of your object running through any text objects or dimensions. That is a true sign of a "newbie". You want your drawings to look like they were drawn by a professional. Understand what I am saying?

Regarding Exercise 1.4 please see post #22.

You could start anywhere on the object as long as you know all the dimensions before you start. Do you?

About the two circles: use the Offset command. I would have you use another feature but your skills are limited and unfortunately I have yet to learn the fine art of creating a video.

I explain the OFFSET command in post #32.

By the way, it is NOT a good idea to use black dimensions against a black background as it makes the drawing difficult to read. Adopt a standard, like red for all dimensions, and use that standard in every drawing. The layer your dimensions appear on and its color can be a part of your template file.

OK...that's all the input I can provide at the moment. It is around 7 a.m. on Sunday morning and I am going out for a motorcycle ride. When I return I'll help you with Exercise 1.6 as best as I can. In the words of the Terminator himself, "I'll be back!"

Regarding your post #80 and Exercise 1.11; the center-to-center overall length is 10.00 and not 7.50 as you have shown. You'll have to use the STRETCH command to stretch the object another 2.50 units to the right.

You do not normally dimension from quadrant to quadrant on two circles. A center-to-center dimension is more appropriate.

Can i ask why i need start where you put the arrow?

And can you give me the Dimensions of all the lines in the Exercise 1.6 Spacer to compare because i cant find the top line number and the right line number in the top too.

your can you create in my DWG file to compare.

[ATTACH]37210[/ATTACH]

I gave you a fully dimensioned drawing in post #58 for Exercise 1.6.

Exercise 1.5 Dims.jpg

Exercise 1.5 fully dimensioned. OFFSET used to locate center points of both circles.

Notice the "aligned" dimension on the portion of the object that is drawn at an angle.

Can i ask one question?

Is in the exercise 1.3 can you put the values and explain for me the diferent values example have 116'-7 116' this is 116 degrees or minutes?

how can i do the math i know 1 degree=60 minutes.

Thanks Professor.

Skip Exercise 1.3 and concentrate on the other exercises first.

When you see this: 116'-7" it means 116 Feet and 7 Inches. It is a distance it is not an angle. This one exercise requires the student to switch from decimal units to architectural (imperial units). There is no math involved in reading the distance.

You do not have to refer to me as a Professor. I'm not smart enough to have earned that title but thanks just the same.

I'm pretty sure that when you open a new drawing you are using the acad.dwt template file which is really set up to be the default for imperial units. Therefore if you type the word UNITS at the command line then press the ENTER key the UNITS dialog window will appear. You'll see that the default units is set to Decimal. That box has a drop-down list available where you can select Architectural, Engineering, Fractional or Scientific units. Select Architectural then look at the PRECISION box below it. Use the drop-down feature to select 0'-00".

Once again, thanks, but there are other forum members who are much smarter than I am who could just as easily guide you through these exercises and do as good a job if not better than I can.

I work for a small specialty chemical manufacturing plant where I do all their piping and instrumentation diagrams, building layouts, and site plans amongst many other things. I use plain AutoCAD to do all my CAD work. Most of our work is in 2D but from time to time I do 3D work as well. Right now I am working on a 3D drawing for reinforcing a buckling column in one of our warehouses.

My background was previously in civil engineering and a little bit of hydrogeology and architetcure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37234[/ATTACH]

Exercise 1.4 - The first circle is added via the OFFSET command. Two lines were offset and where they intersect is the center of the 1.00 diameter circle.

What is the offset command i just know the offset tool in the Modify tab.

I dont use offset command to create the first circle i think now i need use to duplicate to other distance the circle 2 yes?

what is wrong in my right top Measure:

problem14filterplate.jpg

how can i ask you now if you active the OSNAP is hard to get the correct point you want how can i get the exactly point?