New to AutoCad and Confused

Njprince94

As usual ReMark your instructions were quite thorough and accurate.

I just hoped to get him back on the tracks before you finished your beauty rest, or topped off your lithium ions. :beer:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Njprince94

• Dadgad

• paisis123

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lithium ions being topped off as we speak. I should be firing on all plasma cylinders in another 5 minutes. Those are mugs of hot steaming coffee right?

Well, I suppose if you don't have any vintage coffee, hot would work. :D

Sorry for taking so long, i'm making sure I understand each and every command and concept of it as I go along.

2r2ay36.png

Now how can I start making the inner notches? I only have to do this notch in one quadrant then I can just mirror it to every other quadrant right? After the notchs and dimensions are done I also have to add a title block on the bottom.

Your choice. Create at the 45 then do your array or create at a quadrant then array followed by rotate. Trim as required. Done. Well almost done. Dimensioning and title block/border.

Are you going to do everything in model space or make use of a paper space layout and a viewport?

Alright sounds good. Do you know how I can put the arrows like in the design on autocad when doing the dimension? By paper space layout do you mean on the bottom where it says Layout1 and Layout2? I will be making use of the Layout1 when adding in the title block..

Layout1 would be the logical location for a title block/border. Once that is completed you create a viewport so you can see the objects you created back in model space.

Were you planning on doing all of your dimensioning in model space? Do you know anything about Annotative Scaling?

There are those who embrace ANNOTATIVE dimensioning, and those who do not.

I do my dimensions in paperspace, and all notations there as well.

ReMark does too, and yet there are plenty of highly skilled cad users who swear by

dimensioning in modelspace.

There is no RIGHT way to do it, different strokes for different folks. :|

When do you need to hand this assignment in?

One advantage to putting your dimensions and text in your layout is that model space remains less cluttered.

Given this drawing is rather simple I think you would be better off putting your dimensions in the layout (paper space).

You will still have to create a viewport as I mentioned previously. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to. When you plot from a layout however you do so at a 1:1 scale.

For more information about Viewports see post #19 of this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72838-Can-t-delete-viewport-frame-to-make-custom-one/page2&highlight=MAXACTVP

Edited by ReMark

My company draws everything in model space, including the title block.

I acually came in and made it streamlined to draw the part 1:1 and scale accordingly.

Did the OP hand in the project or is it still being drawn up?

5 hours!

Option 1. Everything in model space (geometry, title block/border, any notes and dimensions). Would work best if the final plotted scale of the drawing is of no consequence.

Option 2. Utilize a layout and viewport. Make sure your dimensions are "associative" (not the same as annotative). Works best if the drawing has to be "to scale".

Ah crap so I'm going to rewind a little bit and go back to the part where you drew the inner notches. I'm not sure how you made that 'half of a square' piece at 45 degree's! I will being option 2 in what you just mentioned because it has to be to scale when plotting it!

Make it easy on yourself. Draw one of the tabs using a quadrant as a reference location. When done do an array, Trim as required then rotate the whole thing 45 degrees using the Rotate command and the center of the circle as the basepoint. Got it?

How involved does the title block and border have to be?