Speed up autocad

OMEGA-ThundeR

Double post i guess, but its been a few days..

Question, dies a few more gb of ram help ? There are some times it runs out of memory and crashes autocad (with 3gb of ram).

Maybe i can convince someone to purchase a 64bit OS with 8gb of ram if that might help. Personally i find 3gb of ram a bit on the risky side with these kind of programs, since i read about workstations with over 16gb of ram and stuff.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• OMEGA-ThundeR

• rkent

• Glen1980

Would getting paid a few more thousand dollars a year help? One can never have too much money or too much RAM.

I don't understand the statement re: RAM, risky and "these kinds of programs". That's what they do. They eat RAM and thrive. Deprive the program and suffer the consequences.

If you are going to 64-bit and 8GB RAM then you are looking at a new computer. What OS will you be loading?

I don't see why a new OS + Extra ram = New computer. A decent motherboard should be able to handle 8gb of ram.

The os that would be used in that case is Windows XP PRO

• 3 years later...
I don't see why a new OS + Extra ram = New computer. A decent motherboard should be able to handle 8gb of ram.

The os that would be used in that case is Windows XP PRO

The problem is not in the motherboard but how many bit the system is. 32 bit systems can only use 4gb of ram. 64 bit systems can use 16gb of ram, which is why you need a new computer to get more ram.

I think he bought a Mac. LoL

There is a way, albeit a bit involved, that according to a couple of people a 32-bit system can be tricked into recognizing more than 4GB of RAM. I never tested the method so I can't say how easy/difficult it is to do or whether or not it works. You can find a link to the article somewhere here on CADTutor.

Here you go. This link was previously provided by forum member SLW210.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm

Nope, I'll just stick with newer. better technology. Newer systems have so much more going for them besides being 64-bit.

The improved bus speeds of newer motherboards and cpus are just so much faster than what the older ones could achieve no matter how much ram was thrown on them. The data was only going to go so fast.

A P4 with a 100-133 Mhz FSB could only have a data transfer rate of 3200 MB/s-4256 MB/s.

A now out of date Core-2 Quad could hit speeds of 8512 MB/s-10656 MB/s

The newer HyperTransport by AMD and QuickPath by Intel surpass these numbers. The you get into the data transfer of PCIe graphics compared to AGP graphics. They all work together to make the newer systems faster.

I also was not aware of the new 16GB restriction for 64-bit, when did this come about?

Sorry for the confusion, most motherboards can only handle between 16gb-32gb of ram. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit can technically support 192gb of ram. You'd have to invest a lot of money in a computer to be able to attain those types of resources.

• 1 year later...

shucks! I just learned this trick and happened to come across this post. Thought it was slick and it definitely reduces file size, especially if you do it with all xrefs and blocks.

Sorry!

4 years later... I wonder if the OP has got a new computer yet... :)

I see the topic lives again :P.. But to answer the question, i upgraded from the Q6600 to an i5 (1st gen) with raid 0 SSD, later to an i7 (2nd gen) with 1 ssd and today (for more than a year) i use an Xeon E5-1620. You could say a downgrade (the i5 and i7 were systems i bought myself and used at the office... the Xeon is provided from work. and the Quadro card only supports 2 displays, in the i5 en i7 i used an ATI consumer card with eyefinity)

I somehow missed the -purge regapps from when this thread was originally about. Is there any potential for it to remove anything it shouldn't? I just tried it and removed tonnes of stuff and has sped up the drawing I'm working in.

Sorry for the potentially daft question!

I somehow missed the -purge regapps from when this thread was originally about. Is there any potential for it to remove anything it shouldn't? I just tried it and removed tonnes of stuff and has sped up the drawing I'm working in.

Sorry for the potentially daft question!

The user has all the control. You can elect to view what is about to be purged and override it or just put it on autopilot and let AutoCAD get on with the job.

Just prior to my post on the 7th, I thought I'd quickly try it out, so I told it not to ask me for each item. It was one of those slow motion WTF have I done moments when I saw how many things it had purged!

Nothing has gone wrong since I did it so I assume it can't hurt and a response from the Augi forum I found says AutoCAD will automatically reload them as it needs them.

Just prior to my post on the 7th, I thought I'd quickly try it out, so I told it not to ask me for each item. It was one of those slow motion WTF have I done moments when I saw how many things it had purged!

Nothing has gone wrong since I did it so I assume it can't hurt and a response from the Augi forum I found says AutoCAD will automatically reload them as it needs them.

Well, that's only for the regapps. If you did , other things like blocks and dimstyles will have to be ferreted out of other drawings that still have them, or you'll have to build them again.