Add Blocks to my own Panel

dsibbo

After our conversations last week & my decision to settle with Tool Palettes over the Ribbon. I would like to create my own palette.

I understand how to create tool palette of blocks through design centre. At the moment my company has a generic palette with company blocks on everyones PC.

What I would like to do is set up my own tool palette seperate from this one to have open, when I click create tool palette of blocks in design centre, I get a an extra tab on the companies palette.

How do I go about creating my own palette entirely?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dsibbo

• rkent

• ReMark

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do I go about creating my own palette entirely?
You're going to want to create and maintain multiple Profiles. Go into your Options > Profiles Tab. Add a new Profile and name it, and make it Current. This will "save" your Default Profile. Now you can go back to the Files Tab in Options, and change the Tool Palettes folder directory to whatever you choose. This will give you a Blank Slate. If you keep the folder you make for it open, you'll see AutoCAD creating the *.ATC files as you create new Tool Palettes and add blocks/commands to them.

Holler back if you need more help. :)

Open your Tool Palettes. Now right-click on it and from the fly-out menu select New Palette.

This has just added a tab on the already existing company palette.

You're going to want to create and maintain multiple Profiles. Go into your Options > Profiles Tab. Add a new Profile and name it, and make it Current. This will "save" your Default Profile. Now you can go back to the Files Tab in Options, and change the Tool Palettes folder directory to whatever you choose. This will give you a Blank Slate. If you keep the folder you make for it open, you'll see AutoCAD creating the *.ATC files as you create new Tool Palettes and add blocks/commands to them.

Holler back if you need more help. :)

Thanks StykFacE. I'm familiar with profiles so this wasn't too difficult.

If one of my colleagues would like to use my tool palettes what is the best way for them to do so.

I understand I'd have to move my blocks to a shared file on our server - would my palette automatically route to the new location?

If one of my colleagues would like to use my tool palettes what is the best way for them to do so. I understand I'd have to move my blocks to a shared file on our server - would my palette automatically route to the new location?
Since you're doing this from scratch, don't create the Palettes yet. First, get your content on the server. Second, make sure all who will access this Tool Palette directory is mapped to it with the same drive letter. Third, and most important of all, make sure that you and only you have full write access to the Tool Palettes directory (or the blocks, or anything else for that matter). Everyone else must have Read-Only. The reason, is because once someone exits AutoCAD, it writes all changes to all Tool Palettes. Well, if you've made a lot of updates, and close AutoCAD for the day, and someone else stays late and closes AutoCAD, guess what: they just overwrote all the work you did. AutoCAD only sees changes to Tool Palettes upon initial application startup. So anytime you make changes, you'll need other to restart the application to see the results. This is why it's critical for this level of administration to be preset.

But now you're totally networked in a true collaborative environment. Map as many people as necessary to these Tool Palettes, and make sure all source directory paths to the blocks, etc. are all common for all users.

Hope this answers your inquiry. 8)

We at office had such problem.

The chief installed the program.

The basis of all details and elements is on the server.

All users use this basis.

Adding and change automatically on all computers.

Elements are inserted into the drawing on a name and the picture.

Works in the complete version and in LT

If you interests, I can give the reference.