3d carving

aqther

Hi everybody :) I've been using this forum for a while now. I am an autocad draftsman in joinery. In my current project I have to make a 3d model with lots of carving design. The table legs are made of wooden carving. I am attaching an image here to mean what i actually want to work out. Any ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aqther

• ReMark

• Cad64

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No pun intended but I think you have your work cut out for you.

I think this is not the type of project AutoCAD would excel in. Is it too late to change your project? I would suggest something along the lines of a Mission style buffet perhaps by Stickley or a highly detailed Eastlake black walnut lamp table with burl inlay and a marble top from the Victorian era. It's just a suggestion. For all I know you're an artist when it comes to AutoCAD as well as a craftsman.

By the way, the detail pictured above, is it really done in wood or was in done in plaster?

What are you creating this model for? Is it just for illustration or will you need to use it for prototyping?

If it's just for illustration, using a program like ZBrush, you can create models like that very easily. Once the model is done, you can create a normal map and a displacement map and then export everything out for use in 3DS Max or Maya. But I wouldn't even attempt something like that in Autocad.

my friends, thats NOT an image I am actually working on. All my work files are in my office. This was just an example picture that i have put up. I will try to get the photos and put it here for a better idea. but my question is how to make such shapes in auto cad? i dont understand this thing.

Cad64 thank you for your input. but i prefer just autocad and 3dsmax, thats it. Dont wanna try 3rd one.

Ok here i found one similar image. Again this one is not the one i am currently working on. just for a reference i using this image here.

F205CRouxTable4.jpg

I'd still recommend not using AutoCAD for this type of project as it just isn't suited to the task. It would be like asking an apprentice sculptor to carve a replica of the statue of David using a chainsaw. He probably could rough it out but the fine detail would be missing.

I'd still recommend not using AutoCAD for this type of project as it just isn't suited to the task. It would be like asking an apprentice sculptor to carve a replica of the statue of David using a chainsaw. He probably could rough it out but the fine detail would be missing.

That's precisely why I recommended ZBrush. It's perfect for creating that fine detail very easily. Then it's a simple procedure to create the maps and export back into 3DS Max.

But, if you prefer to stick with only Autocad and Max, then I would suggest using Max. As Remark stated, that detail will be nearly impossible to replicate in Autocad.

aqther:

Listen...I'm strictly an AutoCAD user; 2D and 3D. But I deal mostly in structural steel and 3,000 gallon chemical mixing and storage tanks. These items are suited to AutoCAD because of their basic primitive shapes (circles, squares, angles, etc.). When you show pictures of what appear to be hand carved, freeflowing, details on furniture you are starting to leave the realm of AutoCAD. I think a program like Rhino3D could handle it but as far as other AutoDesk related programs I defer to those more knowledgeable than myself.

You were the one that mentioned joinery yet what you choose to show here does not meet the definition of joinery as I understand it. Maybe you can educate me.

I am familiar with these types of enhancements to furniture as I have several antiques in my house the most detailed of which is a minature Chinese Chippendale youth chair with ball and claw feet and an extensively pierced carved back. I also have a Mission style buffet done by Limbert (second only to Stickley) in the Arts and Crafts movement.

Take a moment and visit the site in the link below. When you get there look in the upper left hand corner. Under the heading Media Type I want you to select 3D Models. In the box with the heading Search terms I want you to type Furniture. Then hit the GO button. When the next webpage comes up please take a look at some of the images. Notice that below each image is the name of the program used to create it. Page through the inventory and I am positive you'll find images that will catch your eye. Now, what are you waiting for? Click on-

http://www.turbosquid.com/

what you guys dont like a challenge?:)

is the model just for reference or do you need to use it to transfer to a prototype?

i think its do able, extremely difficult and if you are asking how to draw it probably out of your level(no offense meant by that). You would not only need to be very good at visualizing 3d curves of that model but you would also need to be very careful:).

I think the general shape and design of the table legs wouldnt be too bad but that face!

what you guys dont like a challenge?:)

Challenges I like. :)

Agonizing torture I don't like. :ouch:

Work smart, not hard and Use the right tool for the job

Those are my words of wisdom. 8)

I think the general shape and design of the table legs wouldnt be too bad but that face!

I know the 'face' is difficult but not the shape. So, that is my question :P

I'm impressed. Thank you aqther for sharing that image with us. And anyone who would like to attempt the original "face" in AutoCAD I say go for it and show us what you can do. No cheating now. Must do it entirely in plain old AutoCAD.