how to attach material to imported 3d cad object in 3dmax

luxor

Hi,

need help.

1. i've made some 3d objects in autocad. after importing it from 3dmax, i couln't figure out how to properly attach max materials to it. i dont have problems with attaching max materials to 3d objects i've made in max, only in 3d objects from cad, im having trouble.

2. i've imported a 3dmax car and would like to make it bigger. i don't know where to change it's scale.:oops:

i would really appreciate any suggestions...thanks a lot!:wink:

hi,

i've figured out question no. 2. thanks for the help.

but i still couldn't solve question 1.

i really have tried and tried attaching materials but it wouldnt work on 3d objects imported from autocad.

*sigh*

ow....i've found it!:)

i changed the Tiling sizes from 1.0 to .001!

thanks.:D

is it still possible though to lower it down to .0001? because the lower the value, the bigger the sizes of materials....

they don't accept lower than .oo1, i've tried it.....any ideas?

The reason you have to adjust the tiling scale so small is because you haven't mapped your UV's. This is very important and it's something you really have to learn how to do if you want to move forward in doing 3D work. If you read through the tutorial I posted previously, it will give you a good idea of how to do this.

you are absolutely right....

i'll study on it tomorrow...

for now, i got to sleep....my eyes are very red already....

im sure i'll have more questions.

i've studied it, and i got almost what i needed....

i still have a problem though...

is it possible to like explode 3d objects in max? my roof and walls are automatically of the same element after importing it in max eventhough they are separate in cad....i would like to separate these elements as they are of different material...is it discussed in the tutorial.?

No you can't Explode objects in Max, although you can select Polygons and Detach them to create separate objects. But I would suggest using a Multi/sub-object material. Check the link that I posted in THIS thread.

I just re-read your question and realized that you have separate objects in your Cad file. If you want your Autocad objects to be separate objects after Importing to Max, then make sure to set your "Derive Autocad Primites by" Import option to "Entity".

See below:

Max-Import-Option.jpg