trimming problem in autocad 3d

Bivek

That would work, yes. But we don't know if the OP wants the rod to penetrate into the cone or stop at the face. BTW...the rod I show in my posted image passes into the cone and does not stop at the face you see.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bivek

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rod pentrating Sphere.PNG

On the left the rod penetrates all the way through the object. On the right it does not. I can think of two ways to accomplish the same result.

I have attached a photo to make clear what my problem is. In the photo i want to cut off the shown extended portion of solid box from the surface of solid surface.

to ask.png

@bivek - if you're planning to achieve the object in you're photo. Why not just insert the solid object without having the tip of it passing through on the other side of the sphere? then you may use UNION? Just a suggestion. Please see picture below..Or do you really need that solid object to pass through on the sphere then trim the excess? Maybe my approach is not applicable.

acadunion.jpg

Edited by Rewind23

@Rewind23 thanx but i was just trying to show what i wanted through the pic. That wasn't my objective,yeah my objective is to know how to trim or cutoff excess solids piercing out of other solids from the face of the pierced solids where the solid could be of any irregular shape not necessarly sphere everytime. Thanks

There are a whole bunch of (old) tutorials in my signature that describe how to use the Slice command and others to edit solids.

See the toy car tutorial in my signature.

Copy

Subtract

Separate

Delete

But mine is SOLID

I was wondering when I'd get a chance to use these three letters: OMG. Thanks.

Bivek: Everything I've showed you has been created as 3D solids. I've shown some images as 2Dwireframes so you can visualize what is taking place INSIDE the sphere. A simple change to a Conceptual or Realistic visual style is all it takes to eliminate the wireframe.

Image in post #22 was created using an X-ray visual style. Objects are 3D solids.

Image in post #29 was created using a 2Dwireframe visual style. Objects are 3D solids.

Image in post #30 was created using a Realistic visual style. Objects are 3D solids.

Image in post #31 was created using a 2Dwireframe visual style. Objects are 3D solids.

Consider this. If I did not post 2Dwireframe images how would you know that I did not just stick a rod to the surface of the sphere thus giving the illusion that the rod actually penetrated the sphere? You do want the rod to penetrate into the sphere to the inside face of the opposite side do you not? Yes or No?

Edited by ReMark

SolidRodandSphere.jpg

This is what it would have looked like if I had used a Realistic visual style for the image in post #31.

Can you tell what steps I took to go from a rod that completely penetrates the sphere to where the rod penetrates the sphere but stops at the inside face of the opposite side? This would only be apparent if you could see what is happening inside the sphere. Does that make sense to you now? Do you understand why I showed it that way originally?

SphereSolidandSurface.PNG

Bivek: Pictured above are two spheres presented using a 2Dwireframe visual style. One is a 3D solid while the other is a surface. Which is which?

Hint: Both Surftab1 and Surftab2 are set to a value of 12.