Drastic changes within the past year - Computer Question

wings

Last Summer I was all about getting Revit, and was asking for feedback from you guys. Now, half a year later things have changed. I since quit my last job, took on another job, and was laid off within 4 months. Now, for the first time since I graduated college - 1993, I am without work, or a decent system to even do work on.

With that being said, I do have some people that are willing to give me some work, so I have registered a business with the IRS, and town and am getting ready to move forward. In order to get moving fast, and effeciently, I need to purchase (or obtain) cad software. I am looking into the Building Design Suite at this point. I would like to have everything run through a laptop, but I've heard that such is not a good idea as most laptops are not well enough equiped to run cad effieciently. I am not sure if that is true, but maybe people here can give me some thougths. There were a few Samsung laptops at Best Buy that seemed to have the proper specs (and more) to run cad, but again, just because the specs are there doesn't mean it will work.

If I need to get a desktop system so be it. I have a credit still that I can use ONLY for computer and software as I did last summer so this will help.

Since I need to make money, I am just looking to go with straight autocad at this time as I don't have time to mess around with a new program like Revit. I am familiar with cad, and I can do decent work for what my prospective clients need.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks again.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• wings

• Dadgad

• PotGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I need to make money, I am just looking to go with straight autocad at this time as I don't have time to mess around with a new program like Revit. I am familiar with cad, and I can do decent work for what my prospective clients need.

That sounds like you have thought this out well. Good luck :)

This is being done on a samsung only I3 but at home runs civ3d but has Nvidia graphics which helps extra ram & 64bit of course.

Theres some pretty good I5 & I7 out there make sure it has better than on board intel graphics.

After 5 years of doing this, I have never worked on a desk top.

True, the majority of laptops might not be well suited, but there certainly are those which are quite capable.

ReMark is right, Xi has been doing this for 25 years, and they get consistently high grades from Cadalyst in all of their testing.

Xi is at the top of the class, and very competitively priced, best bang for the buck.

You are obviously intelligent, articulate and motivated.

Go realize your dream, there are no limits to what you can do. :D

Prove to those who trust you with work, that they have invested in a winner.

Laptop? Look at Xi Computers. Their laptops are specifically configured for CAD.

Thanks for this tip.

Until you mentioned this company I had never heard of them. I did some research on them, and they seem like the real deal. Could all be hocus pocus, but the reviews seem legit.

I e-mailed them to see if they can verify that the program I want to use will run on their machines.

Ultimately I would like to be able to take the laptop in and out of my home, but while it's homome be able to hook it up to a larger monitor and full size keyboard. The portability is key, but if getting the power is not possible with a laptop then I will go with one of thier desk tops.

Thanks. I will let you know what happens.

I do my work on an Alienware 18" "laptop". You can purchase these through Best Buy.

The keyboard is full size and the 18" screen is not torture to use for CAD.

The portability is key....

Depends on how you define "portability"... ...if you can lug around 11 lbs in a backpack...

customers can at least see the screen.

I would go with Win 7 rather than 8 for now, unless you are waiting for the next release of AutoCAD to purchase.

Hmmm, In quick search I couldn't find these on Best Buy anymore????

I always thought the Alienware laptops were 17". I could be mistaken.

Xi Computers consistently score very high (usually #1) in most comparisons with similar such computers be they desktops or lap tops. It is definitely not hocus-pocus with Xi.

What is your budget for this laptop?

Another source for a mobile workstation would be....http://www.cad2.com/workstations/laptop-workstations.html

Things to look for in a mobile workstation. Although the article is just over a year old it does not hurt to keep some of the features in mind when shopping for a laptop for CAD.

http://www.cadcamperformance.com/2012/01/16-things-to-look-for-in-a-mobile-workstation-for-cad/

18"s? Compact little unit! :D

My workhorse HP Pavillion has a 20 1/4 inch screen, not bad for a laptop,

but the best way to schleppe it around is with a forklift or a wheelbarrow!

The 180 watt charger alone weighs a kilo.

But when you're sitting in front of it actually working, it makes all kinds of sense. :beer:

I always thought the Alienware laptops were 17". I could be mistaken.

Xi Computers consistently score very high (usually #1) in most comparisons with similar such computers be they desktops or lap tops. It is definitely not hocus-pocus with Xi.

What is your budget for this laptop?

I can most likely afford the lower end or mid end laptops from the Xi site. 1,000-1,4000. I am not very savvy at the components that need to be inside so I would like to be able to get something from them right out of the box. It looks like the models shown will do the trick.

I believe CAD users should be as knowledgeable about their computers as dedicated gamers. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm pretty much a fan of self-reliance.

I believe CAD users should be as knowledgeable about their computers as dedicated gamers. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm pretty much a fan of self-reliance.

Of course if it were true self reliance we wouldn't be depending on foreign parts, and a computer to do our work for us, but that's a discussion for another time.

:D

I know basics about CPU specs, memory and such, and how much I would need, knowing to get the right size video card, etc., but at this point for me to get all involved with the detailed technical aspects of the interwokings of a computer system, how motherboards are assembled and such is just not going to make me any money. If I can trust reviews, and talk to people with experience in a similar system, right now that's good enough for me.

I do understand what you're saying though. Maybe once I get rolling with the basics I can learn more.

Desperate times have hit me hard, and acting fast is the order of business for me. No money = no food, etc.

I was not referring to such minutiae rather general knowledge about the role more RAM plays in CAD and the benefits of utilizing a dedicated graphics card over an onboard graphics chip. It would also be useful to know the advantages of a SSD over a platter drive.

Of course if it were true self reliance we wouldn't be depending on foreign parts, and a computer to do our work for us, but that's a discussion for another time.

:D

I know basics about CPU specs, memory and such, and how much I would need, knowing to get the right size video card, etc., but at this point for me to get all involved with the detailed technical aspects of the interwokings of a computer system, how motherboards are assembled and such is just not going to make me any money. If I can trust reviews, and talk to people with experience in a similar system, right now that's good enough for me.

I do understand what you're saying though. Maybe once I get rolling with the basics I can learn more.

Desperate times have hit me hard, and acting fast is the order of business for me. No money = no food, etc.

Bravo, well said.

Xi is at the top of the class, and very competitively priced, best bang for the buck.

You are obviously intelligent, articulate and motivated.

Go realize your dream, there are no limits to what you can do. :D

Prove to those who trust you with work, that they have invested in a winner.

I was not referring to such minutiae rather general knowledge about the role more RAM plays in CAD and the benefits of utilizing a dedicated graphics card over an onboard graphics chip. It would also be useful to know the advantages of a SSD over a platter drive.

Definitely one thing I have learned as key for cad programs is the dedicated graphics card. From what I understand, most if not all laptops run this way although I could be wrong.

From what I know, SSD has many more advantages (speed, durability, etc.), but is costlier. If I can't afford the SSD, I don't think the work I would be doing would be affected greatly. Mostly 2-D small sized drawings.

Most laptops come configured with an on-board graphics chip. One usually has to pay a little more to get a dedicated graphics card.

SSD's are becoming cheaper by the day and it's nice to see them being used in some laptops. The ones I've looked at though have a relatively low capacity (64-128GB) SSD for programs with a secondary platter drive for data storage (500GB+).

You'll also seem some hybrid drives being used in laptops. They have both an SSD and normal drive in one unit. Almost as fast as a true SSD drive but less $$ and more storage.