how to prevent new layers (added to model xref by others) being plotted

mvrcad

Gday all

I am trying to help a colleague thats having some hassles.

he has a model file that has been xreffed into hundreds of drawings, and now another drafter has added a layer (a screen)over the top of this guys windows.

I had a gut feeling reconciling layers had something to do with this, perhaps not.

can anybody please help?

i suggested that new layers be created and then frozen, and then in any new drawings needing these new layers, the layer can be unfrozen.

there must be a better way.

Cheers

Marcus

You can individually click the plot icon for that layer in the layer manager of the original drawing to turn the layer off only for the printer/plotter. The layer will still be visible to everyone, but it will not print. That way, the next time anyone opens a drawing that the original is xrefed to, it will already be set to no print.

Any time a layer in an xref original is changed or added, the layer will need reconciling when the drawings containing the xref are opened. Once you right click the layer, and click Reconcile, you can change the layer's properties in the receiving drawing.

AutoCad has this provision so you won't be surprised by things like saved layer states changing without you knowing why.