I need to create a solid with one surface that twists and is not in any one plane

uraniumtiger

Hi folks,

I am using AutoCAD R14. I need to create a solid which is sort of wedge shaped. But the top surface twists (like a propeller blade). So it is not in any one plane. Also, that surface is not square (no right angles). The bottom surface is flat and in the x-y plane. It is a quadrilateral. The other three sides are a rectangular flat surface and two triangular flat surfaces. I don't know how to create this shape as a solid. I was able to create several polylines to accurately describe the shape but then when I tried to join them together to create a solid using the UNION command I get the following error message: "At least two solids or coplanar regions must be selected." How can I create this solid?

Thanks in advance,

Uraniumtiger

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uraniumtiger

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• scj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... I was able to create several polylines to accurately describe the shape.

Attach your file here. My guess if there is any chance of this working in r14 it will be with Extrude with the Path option and a bit more.

Hi ReMark,

I think the ends are closed. I am using the snap function and they should be. I tried it again just now, recreating polylines for each face using the 3DPOLY command and snapping each line segment into place and then I tried to make them into a solid using the UNION command and I got the same error message. My file is attached above. (It was drawn in AutoCAD R14.) Why don't you see if you can do it? Let me know if you can.

Best regards,

Uraniumtiger

Hey Remark,

That is very nice! How did you do that? Also, the mesh on the solid surfaces look different from what they usually look like in my drawings. (Your drawing has many more mesh lines.) I guess that is just a matter of different settings somewhere.

Best regards,

Uraniumtiger

Hi ReMark,

I am glad to see that you did this (and thanks for doing it) but I need to be able to do this myself. How did you do it in your version of AutoCAD?

Uraniumutiger

Hi ReMark,

There seem to be some problems. When I copy the file into my main drawing, it seems to come in as a block and not a solid. When I try to slice it, for example, the system won't let me do it. If I explode it then it reverts right back to polylines. Also, when I try to drag it in the file that you sent to me I can only move it along a couple of straight lines. I was able to move it in the z direction by typing in coordinates but I should be able to just drag it in any direction. Maybe the solid you created doesn't work correctly in R14. Any thoughts?

Uraniumtiger

Hi ReMark,

When I copy the object into my main drawing and I try to slice it I get the error message, "No solids selected." However, when I tried to slice it in the file you sent to me I was able to do so. But I still can't drag it around properly.

Uraniumtiger

When I opened your drawing the first thing I did was separate everything. I ended up with three entities not the five I was expecting to see. Thus my reason for stating the ends were not closed.

I used the Edgesurf command to create surfaces. I used the Surfscuplt command to create the solid. This command did not exist back in the days of r14.

You should be able to move it in any direction you want. I did not make any changes to the UCS you used in your drawing.

I don't recall a technique for r14.

Could the OP start by using 3Dfaces? I believe there is a face-to-solid lisp somewhere around here.

I may have answered my own question. While I was able to create the necessary faces when I did find and use the F2S.lsp routine I got some unexpected results. The entities were indeed 3D solids but not the shapes I expected (I use theManual option versus the Auto option). Ratz!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input so far. So is the consensus that I cannot create this solid object in AutoCAD R14? Is that what the situation is?