I need help to solve Geneology problem, please?

Shuvro

One can only imagine what brought someone here, to a CAD help site, with a programming question regarding genealogy. It's difficult to understand the urgency and frequency of the request for help given that the OP said this was not a school assignment. Too bad it took so many posts just to find out the program he was using.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shuvro

• ReMark

• dbroada

• fabriciorby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What made you come to CADTutor? You do know this is a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting/Design) help site don't you?

Have you read the online "Guide to Prolog Programming" by Roman Bartak?

Do you have a copy of the book "Programming in Prolog" by Clocksin and Mellish? It's available as an eBook. It is considered to be "the first textbook on programming in the Prolog language and is still the definitive introductory text on Prolog."

Why the urgency regarding this? It really does seem like you are a student trying to do an assignment or preparing a thesis on the subject.

Which Prolog compiler are you using? Ex. - Visual Prolog, Mombu, Whirlpool, SWI, Strawberry, GNU, etc.

How much do you really know about programming with Prolog? Have you taken any classes? Read any books?

Have you seen or read the Prolog Book on WikiBooks?

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

There are a couple of forum members who may be able to help you but until you start answering our questions, completely, I can't see where that is going to happen.

Edited by ReMark

Quoted from the paper "Logic Programming: The Prolog Language" by Stephen A. Edwards, Columbia University, Fall 2010:

Prolog's Failings:

1. Interesting experiment, and probably perfectly-suited if your problem happens to require an AI-style search.

2. Problem is that if your peg is round, Prolog’s square hole is difficult to shape.

3. No known algorithm is sufficiently clever to do smart searches in all cases.

4. Devising clever search algorithms is hardly automated: people get PhD's for it.

I think we have covered the fact that there aren't (m)any prolog programmers here so help will be very limited at best.

This really has been a study in how not to provide information. Stating that it is urgent and not providing a good reason doesn't win points and waiting untill post 33 to state some vital information doesn't win any either.

Its not too far removed from going on a Ford site asking how to fix my vehicle as I tried and didn't get anywhere and then when pushed for more details admitting that it isn't a Ford and by the way, its a tractor.

Edited by dbroada
are -> aren't - oops

One has to wonder if the OP has attempted to locate a Prolog programming forum (dependent upon which version he is using). It would seem the most logical thing to do in my opinion. Continuing to write "solve my problem" as a reply doesn't help his cause or win any friends either.

Find the Guide to Prolog Programming here: http://kti.mff.cuni.cz/~bartak/prolog/

Find Prolog WikiBooks here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Prolog

Stephen A. Edward's paper can be seen here: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sedwards/classes/2012/w4115-spring/prolog.pdf

Learn Prolog Now (online) can be found here: http://www.learnprolognow.org/lpnpage.php?pageid=implementations

This is all the help I am willing to provide. I apologize that I cannot do more for you. Good luck with your endeavor. I hope you are able to complete it to your satisfaction.

A suggestion to any mod that reads this. The title should probably read "Looking for help writing a Prolog program; Subject: Genealogy."

OK, I totally missed the Prolog programming in the very first post, partially because everything was strange to begin with and this is an AutoLISP programming area, but mainly because it was not capitalized (and I had never heard of it before). I probably just assumed it was some sort of approach to programming.

It’s not unusual to get a request with very little info, but this person just happened to pick the wrong forum (and even started multiple threads?) thus confusing everyone. Plus he did not explain in the least why the request might be so urgent. Overall, it made him sound dishonest. I’m actually surprised he got as much help as he did.

OK, I totally missed the Prolog programming in the very first post, partially because everything was strange to begin with and this is an AutoLISP programming area, but mainly because it was not capitalized (and I had never heard of it before). I probably just assumed it was some sort of approach to programming.

It’s not unusual to get a request with very little info, but this person just happened to pick the wrong forum (and even started multiple threads?) thus confusing everyone. Plus he did not explain in the least why the request might be so urgent. Overall, it made him sound dishonest. I’m actually surprised he got as much help as he did.

I missed the prolog bit in the first post too but it has been edited so it may have sneaked in then. There were multiple threads and I think the hulk combined them.

I was actually looking forwards to see the solution. Maybe he will come back and post it. Maybe he will come back and explain why something that is claimed to be for his interest should be so urgent. (Not holding my breath.)

Yes, the FIRST post in this thread was the first post in another thread that was started before I combined them.

The other poster with similar requests seems to be asking LISP questions, makes one wonder what IS the programming language, as something could be lost in the translation.

I was actually looking forwards to see the solution. Maybe he will come back and post it. Maybe he will come back and explain why something that is claimed to be for his interest should be so urgent. (Not holding my breath.)
Yeah, it might be interesting, but I wouldn't hold my breath in this case either.

The language is not supposed to be all that difficult. Perhaps it would be interesting to learn Prolog, at least to a small degree; but I'd probably learn just enough to be dangerous.

As for the urgency, if he had been applying it to sudoku, then maybe I might have at least had some sympathy. Maybe he had a bet going, or maybe some sort of inheritance row. One can invent all sorts of possibilities when there is no information forthcoming.

I can't help being suspicious about ReMark trying to be so helpful here. I mean, it is an AI language, and he's evidently built on it (see Avatar). I try to stay away from that stuff myself; it scares me. I popped in a disk to show someone a Terminator movie, when all of a sudden I'm being informed that my machine wants to connect to Skynet! Thankfully, there was no Internet connection, and I certainly wasn't about to provide the missing link on purpose!:shock: