Autocad doesn't get on with this 1 drawing.....

mech

Firstly thank you everybody for the help... :notworthy:I didn't know where to start and you were my inspiration! Unfortunately i'm still having some problems. Here's what I've done so far:

- detached dwg and xrefs (completely removed). Recovered each file individually, then purged and audited the files

- reattached the xrefs to the drawing, had the same problem with CAD crashing first by autosave and then generally when I tried to move objects, etc. This was when I first noticed how long it took to copy objects from a base Point; about 30 seconds, which for my Computer is a lifetime. The timer spins and flickers, and my screen flashes as if CAD is searching for something.... CO and other commands were less of a problem, only the finding a base point seems to be difficult.

- using Design Centre and QSELECT I went through each block and removed 3 instances of a block in a block, and a lot more of blocks in which the dimensions were showing the problems outlined above. I did play with the options for headers, etc but it didn't seem to make any difference. At this point cad stopped crashing, however will take up to 8 mins to perform a save!!

- searched for Stand Alone Attributes- there weren't any

So as it stands I have a suceeded in that CAD doesn't crash anymore, but with the saving-time taking so long I need to decide if in the long run it's not going to be quicker drawing from scratch than spending the time waiting!

If anyone can think of anything else outside the list above then please let me know! If not thanks again for all the help!

Andy ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• mech

• RobDraw

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DW Rob. :)

Have you looked through the other blocks on the drawing? It may not just be that one; multiple ones of these could cause the aforementioned slow down.

Have you -purge the drawing as well as purged?

Rob, I was referring to the 'bad' blocks. If there are multiple 'bad blocks' within a block, then it would cause mayhem in sorting the file out.

Here is a brute force method. I use a similar method when I don't want to take the time to search out the problem.

If you haven't done it already, get yourself Drawing Trueview free from Autodesk. Detach XREFs from the base file and from the XREFs if there are any in those. Use TrueView to convert each and every drawing to an earlier version AutoCAD. Don't be afraid to go way back in version. It simplifies a lot of things and can help performance issues. After that, WBLOCK each file to clean them out even more. Then recreate your base file from scratch or template and insert the XREFs. Then insert your original (cleaned) base file to the new file. This should fix any problems.

DW Rob. :)

Have you looked through the other blocks on the drawing? It may not just be that one; multiple ones of these could cause the aforementioned slow down.

Yup, I've gone through all 188 blocks in the drawing! Now there's something I don't know, what's the difference between purged and -purge??

Here is a brute force method. I use a similar method when I don't want to take the time to search out the problem.

If you haven't done it already, get yourself Drawing Trueview free from Autodesk. Detach XREFs from the base file and from the XREFs if there are any in those. Use TrueView to convert each and every drawing to an earlier version AutoCAD. Don't be afraid to go way back in version. It simplifies a lot of things and can help performance issues. After that, WBLOCK each file to clean them out even more. Then recreate your base file from scratch or template and insert the XREFs. Then insert your original (cleaned) base file to the new file. This should fix any problems.

I'll try this now!

Sorry mech, after I posted your post came into view, lol.

Tbh, I'm out of ideas, but at least it doesn't crash now. :)

I guess you could try pulling each bock individually into a new drawing until it exhibits unusual behaviour, unless I've gone in a circle. :unsure:

Whoever said that having blocks within blocks is a bad thing was totally mistaken. I've worked with thousands if not 10's of thousands of blocks that have other blocks in them. If properly constructed, they do not cause problems. If the problem lies in the blocks it is because of bad CAD, not because of nested blocks.

:D I think (Think being big word here!) that AutoCAD doesn't like blocks within blocks. While it's not always an issue it does seem to make files less 'stable' hence your issue; the bigger the drawing with blocks within blocks, the larger the chance of computer being computers. :(

I'm sure those more knowledgeable on here will prove me wrong, so yay either way, I'll learn! :lol:

Thought that might happen! :P

Edited by PotGuy

While I was waiting for the Trueview Installation files to download, I tried a WBLOCK.... and everything in the new drawing works perfectly!! This leads me to ask the question: what's the catch? It cannot be that easy...... Although the new drawing has all the layers and blocks in place, can I still update this new drawing as normal??

Yes, in rare instances it can be that easy. Count yourself lucky that it worked.

Yes, you can still edit the new drawing normally. Why would you think otherwise?

I think after a day of trying to find a more complicated solution to the problem it's in my head that something has to be wrong :facepalm:! Had never heard of WBLOCK before, it could just turn out to be my favourite command.....

Thanks one and all :thumbsup:, particularly Rob who came up with the solution!! Brute force works ;)