Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mdbdesign

• stevsmith

• neophoible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What kind of drafting are you doing?

In my last job I was doing electrical & we used a symbol like that to represent a 240V receptacle.

Might you be working on a structural steel design of some type?

Could it be an elevation symbol?

Edited by ReMark

symbol2.jpg

Late to party again, sorry.

It is structural details dwg.

This symbol is located as shown - elevation and plan view.

Sorry, but I have been unable to find anything remotely close to that symbol. Who did the original drawing?

I'm not sure that the symbol has anything to do with "weight at the specific location" since it is on a detail sheet.

I tried investigating this as well, but with no results. Does it show up in the section view also? Is there any significance to the arrow pointing to the top of the flange in the first pic and then in the other pointing to just below the flange? Guesses: Load placement; Match point; Top of beam; Manufacturer's symbol; Center/Balance point.

I kind of like the "center/balance" point option but in detailing for the purposes of fabrication of what significance would it be?

It would be nice to have access to the entire drawing and not just the small portion that was depicted in the image but an actual DWG file. It might also be nice to know where this fits into the whole picture (i.e. - the scope of the job).

I kind of like the "center/balance" point option but in detailing for the purposes of fabrication of what significance would it be?
Good question. For handling purposes? We don't make such notes on a drawing, unless it's an odd shaped assembly; but we don't often use special symbols either, we just put an explicit phrase, if req'd, and there would probably be a dimension or two. We're not exactly standardized here, or perhaps we have a multitude of "standards" that span generations. It will be interesting to see what the actual answer is. I hope someone knows or figures it out and posts it here.

See, that's another thing I like about coming here. You learn all sorts of new things that may not necessarily be a of part of one's job description but are interesting/informative just the same. I guess I just assumed the riggers would figure it out in the field.

Just gonna make sure you've hit all the obvious bases.

I take it that it is not in CAD or if it is, it's not a block or it's name/layer is ambiguous. Why can't you get the legend for that set of drawings? Does the company that generated the drawing exist anymore? Do you have a similar set of drawings that might have the legend? Is it possible it's a CAD dropping that doesn't even belong there?

Who did the original drawing?

Good question, if I know-better said, allowed, to contact detailer I will ask.

Customer is somewhere, designing somewhere else, detailer - who know. Any question we ask need min. 24 hours to be answered.

Soon I find out I will let you know.

Thank you all.