converting 2 polygons into one !?

niegrau

having an editable polygon, and on top side of the polygon; making the rectangular loop edge inset and then extruded.

how can I then apply the same to the object on bottom !?

- symmetry the object on z axis ?

after doing the symmetry, we have 2 polygons now, which for general editing I have problems with. How can I make these 2 into one !? (I'm not expecting grouping solutions, it's not really a good choice for further edits)

having an editable polygon, and on top side of the polygon; making the rectangular loop edge inset and then extruded.

how can I then apply the same to the object on bottom !?

after doing the symmetry, we have 2 polygons now, which for general editing I have problems with. How can I make these 2 into one !? (I'm not expecting grouping solutions, it's not really a good choice for further edits)

@niegrau - if my comprehension is right & and if this is for 3ds Max. Try selecting all the polygons that you wanted to place the inset,after the inset, while those polygons still selected click on extrude to apply same extrusion at the same time, ,then after symmetry modifier, convert the object to editable poly again,(the modifier will collapse to the new sub object level which is editable poly) from there, go to graphite modeling tools,select your object, got to sub-object level EDGES, select the EDGES that divides the 2 Polygons that you wanted to combine into one, then click on "Remove" this will remove the edges and the 2 Polygons is now combined into One Polygon. Also you can access "remove on the side Tool Panel under Edit Edges. Please see the picture below for your reference. Hope this helps.Regards

combinepoly02.jpg

combinepoly01.jpg

Sounds like what you should do is create the 3D model you want to be

one half of the final 3D Model, and then 3dMirror it (or if from an orthogonal perspective,

you can use the regular MIRROR command), after which you want to use the UNION command to

merge them into a single 3D.

Or quite possibly I have failed to understand what you are trying to do.

You mention Extrude which has me thinking 3D modeling.

Can you post an example dwg?

Are you trying to do this in 3ds Max?

Your profile says Autocad 2014, but I just noticed you posted your question

in the 3ds Max forum?

@Dadgad - I think sir the OP is trying to model in 3ds Max, since he mentioned the word "Inset" which is a feature in 3ds Max.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention, yeah it's 3D Max.

many thanks to Rewind23 !

that was awesome

I also found another great way, To mirror by ZX plane. however due to my sloped plane, it didn't match quite perfect, so I used the method of symmetry and to perfectly matching it , I used rotation. I wish I could have done this by Alignment tools, any tips on how to align the mirror or symmetry of an abject to the first object? when there is no angle it's done by default based on x,z,y, or xz, xz and so forth, but when the slope is undefined, like we give the object a 12 degree rotation, then what would be the solution?

Oh sorry I forgot to mention, yeah it's 3D Max.

many thanks to Rewind23 !

that was awesome

I also found another great way, To mirror by ZX plane. however due to my sloped plane, it didn't match quite perfect, so I used the method of symmetry and to perfectly matching it , I used rotation. I wish I could have done this by Alignment tools, any tips on how to align the mirror or symmetry of an abject to the first object? when there is no angle it's done by default based on x,z,y, or xz, xz and so forth, but when the slope is undefined, like we give the object a 12 degree rotation, then what would be the solution?

@niegrau - during mirror you have the option to clone the object via copy,instance & reference (Please refer to the links below) so it will be copied according to the specified World Coordinates (X,Y & Z, ZX etc.) and definitely it is aligned after the mirror Or you might wanted to rotate first the object then mirror it? Im not sure maybe Im a bit confused. May I Know what are you trying to achieve?

You might wanted to check this:

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-3473A37B-EA96-40E7-8B69-61E1F6593ED0.htm,topicNumber=d30e58107

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-66FDAD95-1504-4639-B1A4-7D080E0C7FFA.htm,topicNumber=d30e605100

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-66FDAD95-1504-4639-B1A4-7D080E0C7FFA.htm,topicNumber=d30e605100

4919055869_b.jpgView Screen Capture

can I align any of them to another by Alignment tools ,rather than rotations?

4214948993_b.jpgView Screen Capture

@niegrau - Yes Align can do the trick. You may try the "Align". Make sure no any sub object level is selected(Vertex,Edges,Polygons etc.).To deselect any objects, simply click on the empty space in viewport. Click the rotated object first(the one with angle)then click "Align", then click the second object, a window will pop out, Make sure the Align position is Center to Center" and Align Orientation "Y" Axis is selected. It will align to the target object. If you want, you may try to play with the Align orientation and see how it works for you. Refer to picture below for reference.Regards

align.png

alignposition.png