Residential Housing Examples

bennyboy86

Hi all,

not sure where to post this but im sure someone will move it if need be.

I am doing some contract work on the side to get some extra bucks.

the guy i am doing the work for asked if i would look at some residential housing stuff mostly timber framed with some slab.

the slab work im fine with but timber framing im stuck as haven't done much housing before, mostly work on multiple storey office buildings etc.

i know the guy will help me out alot but would like to be able to attempt it without him, i know basic timber work.

any examples would be great preferably Australian but im not picky.

thanks in advice.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennyboy86

• dbroada

• Enigma

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since we are in an international forum, should we define "Timber Framing"? Here in the US, timber framing means that the structure was framed using lumber sized the way it was back in the day when a person could go out into the woods and cut down huge old growth fir trees, and then hand hew, or saw out large scale posts and beams from them. That kind of framing lumber makes modern residential framing lumber look like a hand full of tooth picks, so much so that we now refer to the typical wood framed house with the nickname "Stick Built". Then again "Stick Built" also means that the house was framed with standard construction lumber but without the advantage of factory built trusses and/or pre-fab wall panels.

The only reason I ask is that somehow I got the impression that 'Timber Construction' means something different in some parts of the English speaking world.

any examples would be great preferably Australian but im not picky. thanks in advice.

The local building code enforcement office may be somewhat picky though.:lol:

Wait, I have friends that lived somewhere in the outback for a while. Their building codes only included rules for sheltering sheep.;) I think they were in Queensland somewhere way out in the wilderness. They couldn't tell anyone where since they were at a satellite monitoring station that was technically a US military base.

I on the other hand would assume Timber Framed be a house built from wood, as oppose to a house built from bricks or concrete or steel.

But what lies in a word is weird. I once tried to convince and American that I lived in a village. As in, a place smaller than a town. She thought I lived in some kind of Amish country.

I on the other hand would assume Timber Framed be a house built from wood, as oppose to a house built from bricks or concrete or steel.

But what lies in a word is weird. I once tried to convince and American that I lived in a village. As in, a place smaller than a town. She thought I lived in some kind of Amish country.

I never realised that village ever meant anything other than a small town, however....

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

I never realised that village ever meant anything other than a small town, however....

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

"In England the biggest difference between a hamlet and a village is that villages have a church. The difference between a village and a town is that the town has a market." - now that is a difference I can get behind! :thumbsup:

"In England the biggest difference between a hamlet and a village is that villages have a church. The difference between a village and a town is that the town has a market." - now that is a difference I can get behind! :thumbsup:
Glad to be of assistance. I (sort of) knew the village had a church but didn't realise towns had markets - until today.

And I think a city has a cathedral, but I heard that a long time ago.
used to be true but is no longer. Brighton & Croydon both became cities without cathederals although Croydon has reclassified one of its larger anglican churches so maybe other "new" cities have done the same.

A market town recieved a Royal Charter from the Monach, places without this charter were 'normal' towns. But that's the way it used to be and as Dave said things have changed. And things are very different county to country.

That's exactly what I meant. Maybe our Australian OP meant the same thing then. Over here, timber framing means using great hulking pieces of lumber much larger than the average US standard framing lumber.

yeah sorry i meant it will have timber framing for the floors with joists and bearers, the house it self will be typical wood frame but mainly after the frame work for the flooring.

Well over here you are not required to go into any major detail on how the structure is built. Depending on the local municipality regulations, the most basic submission to obtain a building permit are:

Site plan, showing the legal address and property boundaries

Foundation plan showing the dimensions of the footing outlines, typical cross sections, rebar/mesh, drainage, etc.

Main floor plan with room dimensions, window/door sizes, and floor joist sizes. Joist sizing and certified drawings can usually be supplied by a vendor if you are buying the engineered joists such as Paralam once you give them a floor plan to work with. The same for roof trusses.

Floor plans for any other additional floors.

General Elevations from all four directions (NSEW) showing roof slopes, drainage etc.

Sometimes a roofing plan is required.

And usually a cross section through the the main part of building. This cross section is typically quite basic and gives finished room heights, calls up your basic framing material, building paper, drywall, exterior sheathing, insulation, and exterior finish for the walls and floors.

Some places require an electrical drawing for all switches and fixtures. And some also require a plumbing schematic, usually in Isometric, which sucks.

I used to have an awesome reference book for residential construction called "Building Construction Illustrated", by Francis DK Ching, but it's been misplaced over the years.

That help?

any examples would be great preferably Australian but im not picky.

Most plans I've seen just include standard notes saying they should be constructed to manufacturers specification and in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards.

Where I'm from every town has a church and the only way to get where you want to go is to go down the main street and make a left at the church. Every direction I got while in a town was go down main street and turn left at the church. As for wood framed house there are 2 types, post and beam and balloon framing. You can look those up yourself. for the most part the type of framing is addressed in the details all you really got do is layout the floorplan and not worry about the framing part. If it's a single story structure it will be post and beam if it is a 2 story structure most likely it will be balloon type. I'm sure you can find samples of details the someone has drawn you can use. If not then grab a book about building houses, should be able to find something in there that you can use.

For what it's worth, balloon framing is not common practice anymore, and hasn't been for a very long time. Over here anyways. Residential wood frame construction is referred to as platform framing. Post and beam is something different entirely..involving posts and beams instead of framed walls.

The village I grew up in had a Town Council and a Town football club but it was quite small

Bennyboy86 what is your liability insurance like? I'd be a bit wary of producing technical drawings for someone without it especially if it is a design outside of your expertice.