Changes to my user interface by A.N.Other!

chesterfester

Hi there, I have been using AC for a good while (R14) and I have had my user settings the same ever since.

A bit like sitting in an old armchair the way I interfaced with AC was fast and easy for me.

Then two days ago I opened a drawing sent to me by A.N.Other and my comfy armchair has gone all IKEA!My user settings have gone hay wire and I cannot get them back to where they used to be.

I use Autocad Classic layout.

In model space when I highlight an object, previously the layer would change in the layer indicator box to what that object layer was - now it does not change, I have to go to the properties box to see what the layer is or to alter it.

When I wanted to carry out a change to an object (say to move the object), previously I would highlight the object, type 'M', enter and move it. Now I have to type 'M', enter, highlight the object, enter again then move it.

To edit a text box previously I would double left click on the text and the editor would open automatically allowing the edit, now I have to click on the text editor icon, then click on the text to open it.

It does not sound like very much is wrong but anyone know how I can re-set these functions and be comfortable again?

Thanks. :)

Although not impossible, I doubt your users settings were changed by merely opening a drawing.

The symptoms you described are all controlled by the PICKFIRST variable. Change it to "1" at the command line, or in Tools > Options > Selection > Noun/Verb Selection

Although not impossible, I doubt your users settings were changed by merely opening a drawing.

The symptoms you described are all controlled by the PICKFIRST variable. Change it to "1" at the command line, or in Tools > Options > Selection > Noun/Verb Selection

Welcome chester, to CADTutor. :)

A nice bit of deduction there nestly, guessing/assuming that you will prove to be right.

Chester, should nestly have solved your problem, and you find your variables to be back on the tracks?

I strongly suggest that you type SYSVDLG at the commandline and hit ENTER to call up

the System Variable Dialog, a wonderful tool, a library of most of the available system variables,

detailing the numerous optional ways they can be set, to customize the behavior of the software.

At the bottom of the box you can SELECT ALL, creating an .svf file, which will

have all of the current System Variable Settings, put it somewhere you can find it, in case

you ever need it, or want to install your System preferences on another computer.

I hope nestly was right, and that you are now back in the game.

On the off chance that you may not have already set one up, I suggest you also set up a Profile with how you like things, on the Profile tab in OPTIONS.

save your .svf.jpg

Wow! what can I say except a very BIG thanks to Nestly (Pickfirst 1 worked a treat) and dadgad for taking the time to help me back into my comfy AC armchair!

Thanks again :D

Chester

Very glad that your problem was so easily remedied. :)

I must admit that the rather odd, perhaps ominous sound of the purported

creator of the drawing you described had me concerned that

somebody had gone out of their way to create a devious new way to

screw up Autocad, for all the rest of us.

That mission seems a bit redundant, and is one which I think is best left to the PROFESSIONALS

in product design at Autodesk! :beer:

In all fairness though, lots of the stuff they come up

with actually IMPROVES the software experience. :|

Remember to save your comfy old armchair settings (.svf),

and if you really feel daring, take some time and look at a few of your favorite system variables

in the SYSVDLG, who knows, you might just decide to fluff those old down cushions

with a new option twist or two. As long as you have your .svf saved, you can always easily reset them

if you need to.