How to print multiple tiles/drawings in 1shot ?

cyril_13

Hi !

I've been using Autocad 2007 for a year now, and learned how to use it by myself, reading books and forums.

But now I'm stuck.... and I'd need your help :)

Here's my proglem :

As part of a study project, I have to describe the steps of assembly of a product (a car within a factory) with a series of drawings.

I've drawn them in the model tab, having each step of the assembly in a separate "tile".

zaem.jpg

My problem is that when I want to print these drawings in a pdf file, it takes me ages because I have to select and print each drawing separately (plot, select window, print for 40 drawings is very long).

05gc.jpg

Would you have any idea on how to be able to print these in a more "automated" process ?

I've tried to put them in "layout" but I cannot manage to adjust the drawing to the print zone, on the page (like what you would do when selecting the window before printing with the "adjust to the page" option).

The scaling is not a big deal at this step, as long as all drawings have the same scale (all tiles have the same dimensions)

Thanks very much for your help !

Cyril

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyril_13

• ReMark

• maratovich

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another couple of ways of doing it are discussed in this thread of which maratovich took part.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?81083-Help-me-plot-these-drawings

I'm wondering if maratovich was asking "Why are you trying to plot each one separately from model space rather than using a layout for each one?" It's only a guess I my part though.

"Why are you trying to plot each one separately from model space rather than using a layout for each one?"

I understand that it isn't correct.

I will agree that it is necessary to print from paper space.

But at us many people draw in model space:

- Initially not trained personnel

- Absence of desire to study the reference

And it is impossible to overpersuade them.

To them is so more convenient and more habitual.

From other organizations we receive such drawings.

Therefore it is necessary to print many separate drawings from model.

In drawings of the author everything is drawn in model.

If the edge of drawings is made polylines, probably it needs this decision.

maratovich:

I never said it is necessary to plot from paper space.

Probably 99.99% of users draw in model space. I know of only one person who draws everything in paper space (he does schematics, no scale, and fits it all on a normal size piece of paper).

Yes, some people (old time users) will do everything from model space and never once utilize paper space. And they do it for a variety of reasons a few of which you have mentioned.

I don't understand your reference to how the "edge of drawings" possibly being polylines affects how the drawing or portions of it would be plotted.

The program looks for polylines.

Compares with necessary of the set list.

Receives coordinates of points of the necessary polylines.

Establishes a printer name, a paper format, style.

Prints a frame on polyline coordinates.

1.JPG

Here is a plot all based on a title block it just uses the insert point and a plot window it will do what you want, change the couple of lines for your printer/pdf and sheet size

(PROMPT ".....PRINTING DRAWING TO plotter....")
(setq oldsnap (getvar "osmode"))
(setvar "osmode" 0)

(setq ss2 (ssget "x" '((0 . "INSERT")(2 . "[color=red]Yourtitleblock[/color]")(410 . "Model"))))
(setq n (sslength ss2))
(setq index 0)
(repeat n
   (setq en (ssname ss2 index))
   (setq el (entget en))
   (setq inspt (assoc 10 el)) ; insertion pt
  (setq xmin (- (cadr inspt) 6.0))
  (setq ymin (- (caddr inspt) 6.0))
  (setq xymin (strcat (rtos xmin 2 1) "," (rtos ymin 2 1)))
  (setq xmax (+ xmin 813.0)) ; [color=red]hard coded for 813 wide 6mm offset
[/color]   (setq ymax (+ ymin 566.0)) ;[color=red]hard code for 566 high
[/color]   (setq xymax (strcat (rtos xmax 2 1) "," (rtos ymax 2 1)))

(COMMAND "-PLOT"  "Y"     "" [color=red]"//Your printer/goes here use pdf"
[/color]        "A3" "M"     "LANDSCAPE"   "N"
       "W"   xymin   xymax "1=2"  "C"
       "y"   "Designlaser.ctb"      "Y"   "" "n"   "n"
       "y" 
   )

(setq index (+ index 1))
)
(setvar "osmode" oldsnap)
(princ)

I understand that it isn't correct.

I will agree that it is necessary to print from paper space.

But at us many people draw in model space:

- Initially not trained personnel

- Absence of desire to study the reference

And it is impossible to overpersuade them.

To them is so more convenient and more habitual.

From other organizations we receive such drawings.

Therefore it is necessary to print many separate drawings from model.

In drawings of the author everything is drawn in model.

If the edge of drawings is made polylines, probably it needs this decision.

Hi,

I've learned Autocad just using it... and I'm trying my best to learn more everyday as I've never been properly trained for it.

So if you tell me I should use paperspace to print, I'll do my best to change my habits !

Attached is a sample file of what I'm trying to do.

As you can see in the layout tabs, I cannot manage to have the "tile" to fit exactly in the plotting area.

And if I do the inverse : adjust the plotting area to the tile (selecting the corner of the plot frame and draging it to the corner of my tile with osnap option) I cannot reproduce this for other tiles. as the plotting position will change for each layout..

I hope this is clear... :unsure:

thanks for your time and help !

Sample.dwg

So the borders around all of your objects back in model space are different sizes is what you are saying. Right?

Now that I have had a chance to view your sample I see you have two different size borders.

It appears we are dealing with metric units and a A4 sheet size. Is that correct?

I have 2 type of sizes but I can make it one, no pb.

I can fit the first block (=my rectangular tiles) in my layout. This works not too bad.

But for the following block, when I add a new layout, I don't know how to position the block exactly like the first one on the page in paperspace.

So the borders around all of your objects back in model space are different sizes is what you are saying. Right?

Now that I have had a chance to view your sample I see you have two different size borders.

It appears we are dealing with metric units and a A4 sheet size. Is that correct?

If it can help, I could have only one size.

It's metric and using A4 paper yes.

I gathered as much. Hold on a moment. I have to save the drawing in 2007 file format before uploading it.

I'll be back.

OK...my version of your drawing is attached. I created a layer called VPorts for my viewports. I assigned it the color magenta. The viewports are set up to mimic the extents of your borders back in model space. If you do not want the viewport frames to print you would have to go into the Layer Properties Manager and set the viewports to the "no print" option (red diagonal line will show up going through printer). Got it?

Sample[rev].dwg

So, I get the layer and no print option but how do you adjust the viewport (the plotting area right ?) to the borders of model space.

How do I create another layout (for the next drawing) and have the exact same arrangement (same scale, same position of the model on the page...) ?

Thanks,

Edit : is it normal that when I activate the viewport, I cannot "move" the model inside, like it was possible on the first version of the file ? (I guess it's linked with the "mimic" of the extends of the border ?)

The viewport is adjusted by clicking on it and using the "grips" (the little blue squares in each corner). The grips are used to stretch (resize) the viewport frame.

I used my Osnaps to snap to the geometry back in model space. In other words, I enabled my viewport grips, selected the lower left hand one and snapped it to the same corner of the border in model space. Do that for diagonal corners and you have effectively resized the viewport frame to fit.

Layouts can be copied. For example, Layout 1 can be copied and AutoCAD will name it (I don't particularly like this way of doing it) Layout 1(2). Layouts can be renamed too. For example, your layout could be named to coincide with the tile it displays (i.e - MOT-01a).

You can't move anything inside a viewport because I locked the viewport. You know how clumsy we all can get at times. If you were working inside an unlocked viewport and accidentally changed the scale then you would have to rescale it all over again. It has nothing to do with linking to the extents of the border back in model space.