• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• steven-g

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that's how the head of the Technical Drawing Department for the Illinois Institute of Technology, Henry Cecil Spencer, A.B., B.S., M.S., wrote it back in 1956.

Thomas E. French, Professor of Engineering Drawing, Ohio State University, in his book "Engineering Drawing" called for Front and Rear auxiliary views as well as Left and Right auxiliary views. See chapter 8, Auxiliary Views, pages 140-141. That was back in 1947.

AuxiliaryView_5.JPG

Amazing what a 30 minute brisk walk on a cool but sunny day will do for one's brain. I think it came back to life!:lol:

Would be necessarily show hidden lines?

I guess Spencer would call this a Top Auxiliary view while French would call this a Right Auxiliary view.

Thomas E. French, Professor of Engineering Drawing, Ohio State University, in his book "Engineering Drawing" called for Front and Rear auxiliary views as well as Left and Right auxiliary views. See chapter 8, Auxiliary Views, pages 140-141. That was back in 1947.

That's all well and good Mark but to which standard was he addressing? :twisted:

That's all well and good Mark but to which standard was he addressing? :twisted:

I'm not getting sucked in to that whole "standards" argument going on in another thread.

I can't figure out what's wrong with my auxiliary view, any suggestions?

The front to back TSS line lengths can be taken from top or right side views.

Auxiliary.png

You can trick AutoCAD into giving you projected auxiliary views from 3D models. (get lazy)

Place your standard views using the viewbase command.

Then create the red lines from point to Perp osnap to inclined plane.

Create a From Object section view selecting the ends of the red lines.

Select the option to include Hidden Lines (if desired).

After placing the views delete the label and turn off the layer with the "cutting plane" line.

AutoCAD Auxiliary Views.jpg

I prefer terms like primary or secondary auxiliary.....

JD thanks for posting the image showing the projection lines and the view at the appropriate angle - that should clarify things for users that are not that familiar. But I would make one suggestion for your second image. The red projection points should actually be points from the face of the projected surface. If one were to project from the corners you indicate you could end up with the wrong projection in many cases.

Just re-read your descriptive instructions, nevermind.

For anyone who comes along and doesn't fully understand my text description, this image might help.

I am getting AutoCAD to do my work for me (because I am lazy) by creating a section cutting plane parallel to the inclined plane selecting the two perpendicular endpoints (so that the section shows the entire part in auxiliary - if only interested in getting the TSS of the inclined plane the section plane can be shortened to selecting the endpoints on the plane of interest).

Then I erase or turn off visibility of section layers.

There appears to be slight mis-alignment in the screen capture due to screen resolution. Careful creation and selection of osnap points will return correct results.

Ortho Projection.png

My guess it the OP will never see this - missed chance to show the instructor an easy (lazy) way.

BTW - the usual plug, programs like Autodesk Inventor have dedicated Auxiliary View tools (no need to create helper geometry - even lazier).

I have long forgotten how to use AutoCAD (beyond the basics). How do you stretch while maintaining the same angle? Does Lengthen command work on the cutting line (not at my AutoCAD machine at the moment to test).

Oh, that all sounds like too much work to me.

I just tried LEN and that didn't work.

Let me try a quick circle and Extend.... back in a bit.

JD - how can using any of those three be more work than drawing lines or circles and then having to erase them or freeze their layer?

I have UO set to UCS, Object. Pick section line, stretch (polar or ortho is always on and ortho is a Shift and hold key stroke away.)

Snapang, pick two points, stretch, change back.

Polar is already set since in this example the angle is 45 degrees.

And no additional geometry to keep track of, I am surprised you are against these methods and would rather create construction lines.

Polar is already set since in this example the angle is 45 degrees.

And no additional geometry to keep track of, I am surprised you are against these methods and would rather create construction lines.

This example was a special case - I like to shoot for general solutions of any angle. Not really against anything you suggested. I wouldn't use AutoCAD for this anyhow. The only reason I ever fire up AutoCAD is to try to help others. Just too much work for me to try to figure out your technique.... I though drawing a couple of perp lines was fairly trivial. And generally, if I am after an auxiliary view - I only want to show the TSS face I'm after, so picking the existing endpoints serves my purpose. Just trying to give the OP a precise school assignment solution. If I had to use AutoCAD every day I might be motivated to try to pick up new techniques, but as it is, I'm too lazy to try.