• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• Tiger

• Strix

• Butch

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the shift key toggle ortho on/off?

But that's madness! :o Why would you want to do that?

The shift key has too much functionality to go changing it.

I beg you Sir, please reconsider. :unsure:

I don't know about others but I was reluctant to investigate as this sounded like a "joke" post (we get them from time to time). Putting this function on the shift key would stop so many other things from working that I wouldn't be happy if it were done to me.

Having now seen your reason I still think its not possible.

I'm with Dbroada on this, don't know if it can be done and really don't want to fiddle my cad to find it out, like he said, the Shift key is used for so many other things.

However, if you type in CUI you'll get to the Custom User Interface where you can change a lot of settings and keybindings and such. You might also be intrested in changing the PGP-file where you save all your short commands (like typing M to get the MOVE command), you'll find it under Express > Tools > Command Alias Editor.

And if you do make it work, please come back and tell us, we're always interested in new customisations :)

he's using 2004...is that command available or was that introduced in 2006?..

That's true, it was introduced in 2006....perhaps it will work with Tools > Customize > Interface instead.

Make the shift key toggle ortho on/off?

But that's madness! :o Why would you want to do that?

The shift key has too much functionality to go changing it.

I beg you Sir, please reconsider. :unsure:

It isn't madness, that is how Shift works and has for several releases. Start line command, pick a point, hold Shift down, Ortho is toggled off or on, release it and the toggle goes back.

It has been so long since '04 I don't remember if that was there already, if not there probably isn't a way, not an easy one any way.

It isn't madness, that is how Shift works and has for several releases. Start line command, pick a point, hold Shift down, Ortho is toggled off or on, release it and the toggle goes back.

It has been so long since '04 I don't remember if that was there already, if not there probably isn't a way, not an easy one any way.

i think we all assumed that it was a permanent toggle the OP was asking for, now it doesn't seem like it is, which makes more sense. Don't know what/where to control the temp-toggles so to speak, but it would be good to know - so anyone know where their settings is stored?

I certainly assumed a permanent toggle. I wasn't aware of the shift giving instant ortho so again, something new learned today. We have to assume it wasn't the case with 2004 else the question would not have been asked.

Don't know what/where to control the temp-toggles so to speak, but it would be good to know - so anyone know where their settings is stored?

This is controlled by the 'tempoverrides' system variable. With it set to 1 the shift key can be used like described above or with other keys for other commands. Funnily enough, I actually never use them :)