Aitocad 2014 after long time using 2007

sajicor

Hi

I used to work with 2007 version until a dew months ago and I want to see the latest one. I have a lot of experience from autocad 2000 to 2007 but I know there would be a lot of changes from 2007 to 2014 so a can anyone tell me the most important ones or the most importnt new tools? Maybe some book or something to get use to it quickly?

thanks

Edited by sajicor

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sajicor

• tzframpton

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The biggest change for you will be moving from the Dashboard to the Ribbon. If you do any 3D work you'll also find additional, improved functionality. The other big change will be Annotation Scaling.

My favorite single upgrade is the polyline midpoint grip. With it you can move a polygon side, in other words stretch the polygon, simply by using the midpoint grip of one of the sides.

2007 introduced the ribbon, I believe in the annotation and drafting default workspace.

No way the Ribbon was around in 2007. MS introduced the Ribbon in Office 2007 but AutoDesk did not embrace it until 2009.
Did I type a 7? I stand corrected. Version 17.2 release 23 AutoCad 2009 is when the ribbon appeared. Annotative objects were introduced in the 2008 release, in tandem with the self bloating scale list.

Hi

I used to work with 2007 version until a dew months ago and I want to see the latest one. I have a lot of experience from autocad 2000 to 2007 but I know there would be a lot of changes from 2007 to 2014 so a can anyone tell me the most important ones or the most importnt new tools? Maybe some book or something to get use to it quickly?

thanks

My advice would be to use the Ribbon and don't change it to "Classic". It's weird at first but the Ribbon is your friend and you'll learn to like it very quickly.

Getting to know the ribbon may be a waste of time. From a rumor I heard recently, the ribbon is going to be replaced. It sounds like Autodesk is going to be using some sort of fly-out menu. I'm anticipating something like the contextual right click fly out menu. Like I said, though, it is a rumor at this point as I haven't seen anything more about it.

For what it's worth, (nothing) I just discovered that one can open the ribbon, manipulate it, and close it, ribbonclose, while in the AutoCad Classic workspace. Now that oughta satisfy the tool button junkies.

FullMonty.jpg

The biggest change for you will be moving from the Dashboard to the Ribbon. If you do any 3D work you'll also find additional, improved functionality. The other big change will be Annotation Scaling.

I'm already used to the Ribbon because I've been learning Revit for a while.

I usually do 3D model with other programs, I've never done 3D in AutoCAD.

I have no idea about Annotation Scaling, can somebody fill me in?

My favorite single upgrade is the polyline midpoint grip. With it you can move a polygon side, in other words stretch the polygon, simply by using the midpoint grip of one of the sides.

You're right, this one is great, very intuitive

Annotative objects were introduced in the 2008 release, in tandem with the self bloating scale list.

What about Annotative Objects? Is it something similar than in Revit?

What about Annotative Objects? Is it something similar than in Revit?
Yes, that's exactly what it is, only Revit does it right. AutoCAD introduced Annotative Objects a while back but if you're already used to Revit you will become frustrated with AutoCAD's poor attempt of doing the same thing.

Mr Frampton is right. Revit is a Bugatti Veyron, but AutoCad is still a 427 Shelby Cobra. In other words, with AutoCad one has to be involved with each line, rough surfaces, the smell of hot oil, unconverted exhaust fumes, squashed bugs on the foerhead, sunburn, and the occasional fire.

It's being hard to understand Annotation Scale. For example with Linetype Scale, if I leave model scale 1:1 and layout scale 1:50, I cannot see a dashdot line in the model but I can in the layout, but if I change global scale factor, I can see it in the model but I cannot in the layout

LTS = 1

PSLTSCALE = 1

MSLTSCALE = 1

Set all these and Modelspace/Paperspace will be identical.

Ok, this works if I leave Annotation Scale from the model and Viewport Scale from a layout with the same one, but what happen if I have several layout in different scales? Can I keep the same Linetype visibility in every layout even if they have different scales?

thanks

The Annotation Scale in Modelspace will need to be adjusted to match any of the scaled layouts you may have in Paperspace. This is your "Working Space" so to speak, and is usually not a permanent space for linetype scales.