• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• Organic

• ohyahta

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An imported file from what? An ASCII file of X,Y coordinates?

What type of entity is the result right now? A spline, polyline, series of lines?

You could try joining them using the JOIN command then either curve fit or spline them using PEDIT. I suppose there may be another option but I can't think of one at the moment.

Can one of the more experienced people tell us if there is a non-lisp way to convert multiple lines to polylines at once?

I too, often have to trace Gothic style windows with those cathedral arched muntins, rails and stiles, the occasional fleur-d-lee, and a random gargoyle, or mermaid. My client GC is an artsy-frtsy type from the design studio over here at one of "The Attactions" SW of Orlando. My non-disclosure agreement prevents me from telling anyone whether they wear ears, a wetsuit, or carry a wand. Anyway, the Deezynor insists that she will die the same day Adobe Illustrator does.

If they are not polylines already, you will have to change them to polylines before Join will work. Start pedit then select a line. It will ask you if you want to make it one, a polyline that is. Even if they are already polylines they may not be connected to each other, and not close enough together for Join to work.

Less tedious maybe, is to trace over them with a continuous polyline with a vertex (click point) at each point where the original lines meet. then select the resulting polyline, execute pedit, select the fit option. The FIT option changes the short straight polylines to a series of tangent polyline arcs. Look for places you can skip past some of the original line end points, thus reducing the number of vertices up front.

I have had better, meaning less squiggly results, if I move the polyline away from the existing straight lines (or erase the existing). It seems as though there is something in AutoCad's tiny brain that knows you are tracing something and tries to FIT the polyline to the traced pattern, which is a good thing if that is what you want. In this case, maybe you don't want it to stick so close to the original pattern.

Edited by Dana W

Can one of the more experienced people tell us if there is a non-lisp way to convert multiple lines to polylines at once?

Does your Pedit command have the option Multiple?

I too, often have to trace Gothic style windows with those cathedral arched muntins, rails and stiles, the occasional fleur-d-lee, and a random gargoyle, or mermaid. My client GC is an artsy-frtsy type from the design studio over here at one of "The Attactions" SW of Orlando. My non-disclosure agreement prevents me from telling anyone whether they wear ears, a wetsuit, or carry a wand. Anyway, the Deezynor insists that she will die the same day Adobe Illustrator does.

If they are not polylines already, you will have to change them to polylines before Join will work. Start pedit then select a line. It will ask you if you want to make it one, a polyline that is. Even if they are already polylines they may not be connected to each other, and not close enough together for Join to work.

Less tedious maybe, is to trace over them with a continuous polyline with a vertex (click point) at each point where the original lines meet. then select the resulting polyline, execute pedit, select the fit option. The FIT option changes the short straight polylines to a series of tangent polyline arcs. Look for places you can skip past some of the original line end points, thus reducing the number of vertices up front.

I have had better, meaning less squiggly results, if I move the polyline away from the existing straight lines (or erase the existing). It seems as though there is something in AutoCad's tiny brain that knows you are tracing something and tries to FIT the polyline to the traced pattern, which is a good thing if that is what you want. In this case, maybe you don't want it to stick so close to the original pattern.

Set peditaccept variable equal to 1. PE then automatically converts all possible entities selected to polylines.

Does your Pedit command have the option Multiple?
No it doesn't. Since peditaccept is set to 0.

However, once the first line is selected and converted, I can then sequentially select other lines in the connecting set, then they become converted to plines and joined in the same execution step of pedit. This is acceptable, but as slow as drawing them in the firat place.

Set peditaccept variable equal to 1. PE then automatically converts all possible entities selected to polylines.

Then, I set peditaccept to 1. Now I can convert every line on the screen to plines all at once, but no matter what I do, or what the endpont conditions are, NONE of them will join, period.:shock:

What is this? Did Autesk, when making LT, decide this one particular algorithm was too heavy and just arbitrariy delete 2/3 of the code to make it lighter?

However, once the first line is selected and converted, I can then sequentially select other lines in the connecting set, then they become converted to plines and joined in the same execution step of pedit. This is acceptable, but as slow as drawing them in the firat place.

Then, I set peditaccept to 1. Now I can convert every line on the screen to plines all at once, but no matter what I do, or what the endpont conditions are, NONE of them will join, period.:shock:

What is this? Did Autesk, when making LT, decide this one particular algorithm was too heavy and just arbitrariy delete 2/3 of the code to make it lighter?

Dana post the file i will try fix it for you :)

r

Dana post the file i will try fix it for you :)

r

Thanks, but It's not a file. I was experimenting around in drawing1.dwg and didn't save it. apreciate the offer. It may be a matter of something I don't know how to do. I am going to investigate this some more. I really need to be able to make closed poly drawings from illustrator junk output too. i am not sure the attached is from AI but it is as bad as anything I have had to deal with.

I also dont want to highjack the OP's thread any more than I already have.

Hand drawn it looks to me, not to highjack anymore here too i would simply redraw it in cad it will take up less time than to juggle around with pdf in order to get the scale perfect and ending up drawing lines over it.

Best

Hand drawn it looks to me, not to highjack anymore here too i would simply redraw it in cad it will take up less time than to juggle around with pdf in order to get the scale perfect and ending up drawing lines over it.

Best

Yeah, this one is hand drawn, not even close to exact scale, and with missing dimensions where I needed them. My solution was to draw it to the overall dimensions as furnished, then imageattach a png of the THING, scale to reference and trace all those curly whatzits.

My single part in it was to furnish them with patterns and profiles for the curvy moldings on the "doors and gable windows". what a PITA.

Worse was one mirror frame, 3.5' x 5' that had vines, leaves and fruit all around it. It came to me as a dwg file, 1.22 meg of splines.

Do they polylines have elevations? E.g. line 1 has an elevation of 10 and line 2 has an elevation of 0 etc. They can't be joined if they do not join in the z coordinate.

I would try exploding all the polylines so they are just lines. If you then click a line it will have a start x value and an end x value for the line in the property pane. Set these equal to 0 for all lines (e.g. quick select or similar) so they are on the same plane and then try converting all the lines to polylines and joining them.

Do they polylines have elevations? E.g. line 1 has an elevation of 10 and line 2 has an elevation of 0 etc. They can't be joined if they do not join in the z coordinate.

I would try exploding all the polylines so they are just lines. If you then click a line it will have a start x value and an end x value for the line in the property pane. Set these equal to 0 for all lines (e.g. quick select or similar) so they are on the same plane and then try converting all the lines to polylines and joining them.

Thanks, but nope. They are all at z = 0. It isn't easy to get non co planar lines in AutoCad Lite.

:)

I'd be interested in looking at part of the file if you want to upload a sample.

All of them are completed right now, all joined polylines, even though they took foorever, so I can't display the "condition" for now.

Use the polyline edit command, select M for multiple and select all of the objects you want to join and it will do so. Now, some "unex[ected" things can happen with how joins everything, but over all it is pretty good.

Use the polyline edit command, select M for multiple and select all of the objects you want to join and it will do so. Now, some "unex[ected" things can happen with how joins everything, but over all it is pretty good.
Yeah, unexpected is an understatement. My post #9 explains how that worked out for me, while manipulating peditaccept and experimenting.

The results are acceptable, and workable. Thanks, we got through the big one. 40 or so closed plines for a water jet, about 2.5 x 6 feet.

The pedit command with multiple works fine for me, providing you give it a descent fuzz factor, for the work you are doing it should work out ok, and if you are sure your lines do actually touch then the boundary command should be even quicker at producing a closed polyline.