D_Krause

Adding fonts to Draftsight

D_Krause

So! This little trick with Draftsight took me about 3 hours to figure out.

How to add Fonts to Draftsight.

Draftsight looks in your windows installed fonts to find any fonts it will consider vaild for use. In order to have a font available for use by draftsight, the font must be in TTF Format and must be installed into your windows system fonts folder.

If you have a .otf file, you should use a tool like http://everythingfonts.com/otf-to-ttf to convert the file into .ttf file format. At that point, just open the file and hit "Install" in the top left. Windows will then install the font into it's system and draftsight will consider it valid.

Why a system like draftsight, which bills itself as an open platform, cannot use .otf is beyond me. But this is the work around:

Convert to .ttf

Install into windows system the "normal" way

Profit.

ReMark

Draftsight may be open source (I'm not sure of that) but it does model itself after AutoCAD thus the reason it is referred to as a clone. Given that it is a clone it uses the same types of fonts as AutoCAD does (SHX and TTF). While I admire your ability to find and welcome your propensity to share a workaround for OTF files the problem does not lie with Draftsight.

DRAFTSIGHT

"DraftSight is a proprietary freeware 2D computer-aided design (CAD) software application developed by Dassault Systèmes. It lets users create, edit and view .dwg and AutoCAD DXF files."

Source: Wikipedia

Personally I don't see the need for using Open Type fonts in AutoCAD or in Draftsight.

Edited by ReMark

billwolo

My Draftsight does not allow me to use TTF fonts - is this because I am using the free basic version vs the professional version?