Model Space Viewport Alignment

stenna

Afternoon All,

I'm working on a project that requires me to produce phasing drawings for store alterations at a well known supermarket.

I have a LIVE plan which is the existing floor plan and a FOS plan which is the proposed; I move/copy from the proposed into the existing detailing the changes needing to happen this involves lots on layers and a shed load on layer states.

I work with two viewports in Model spaces one showing the existing the other showing the proposed. At the moment I scroll around the store in one VP then have to move to the same spot in the other.

I was wondering if there is a way to 'link' the two viewports so that as I scroll around in one the same spot all be it on the other plan shows in the other viewport. I currently keep the two drawings about 100000mm apart so any moves or copies are an easy number.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Stenna

The two most common ways of going about this task in my experience, have been to navigate to the target location in one viewport, and use the VIEW Command to Save a named view, and then within the secondary viewport, Restore said named view.

The other, is to set your PaperSpace viewport to the appropriate zoom/scale, draw a rectangle (presuming standard viewport shape) on top of your viewport, and use CHSPACE Command to send said polyline into ModelSpace. Once this is done, you can orientate the polyline (on a no-plot layer) as needed, and then use ZOOM Window to align your viewport views to same vicinity. Not that this will not account for annotation scale, just zoom scale.

HTH

Blackbox, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately neither options will work I'm working in a 30000sq ft shop and need to zoom in to about 1m radis of the area I'm working in, hence a synchronization of the two viewports.

I used to have a similar set-up for existing/demo and new but only used one viewport. I made two buttons, one for panning using the point option a specific distance right and another one the same except for panning left. This kept the zoom factor the same making it easy to compare/move/copy stuff from one to the other.

You should be able to pick a pt current view, get current scale, add your offset and then jump to other view and Z C scale, like wise it should be one command as it can only go between 2 views if go other view. Not an area of my expertise jumping views. Sure some one can help how to change current views. The Z C scale is easy bit

A cutdown dump of a viewport

Select object: ; IAcadPViewport: IAcadPViewport Interface

; Property values:

; Application (RO) = #

; Center = (1289.78 248.44 0.0)

; CustomScale = 0.485444

; Handle (RO) = "11B25"

; ObjectID (RO) = 1831

; ObjectID32 (RO) = 1831

; ObjectName (RO) = "AcDbViewport"

; OwnerID (RO) = 1830

; OwnerID32 (RO) = 1830

I'm wondering why you have 2 floor plans in the same drawing of the same building. I would create a drawing with just the old floor plan then xref that to the new floor plan place the xref on a layer by itself then you can pan around the drawing with the xref layer turned off then turn it on when you need it.

I'm wondering why you have 2 floor plans in the same drawing of the same building. I would create a drawing with just the old floor plan then xref that to the new floor plan place the xref on a layer by itself then you can pan around the drawing with the xref layer turned off then turn it on when you need it.

+1

I was about to post saying that you only want one floor plan. I do this all the time where I work with new work and demo work layers. No sense trying to keep track of two plans.

1+

I seemingly misunderstood that the OP had two PViewports, and used layer states to control that one only showed existing, and the other proposed, but that they were both in fact drawn correctly on top of one another where applicable. Hence my earlier offering.

I agree with you Black box put on top

I currently keep the two drawings about 100000mm
still looking for how to jump viewports then its a simple solution as same pt in both.

I agree with you Black box put on top still looking for how to jump viewports then its a simple solution as same pt in both.

If you've used 12d it has this functionality where you 'throw' between views. No idea how they done it or if it is even possible in AutoCad though.

+1

I was about to post saying that you only want one floor plan. I do this all the time where I work with new work and demo work layers. No sense trying to keep track of two plans.

Agreed. The model can visually get messy with overlapping entities but good layers and viewport layer states takes care of all of that.

I agree with you Black box put on top still looking for how to jump viewports then its a simple solution as same pt in both.

Consider the CVPORT system variable.

How about opening the 2 drawings separately, tile them side by side & select whatever you want to copy from the source file and right-click drag it to the destination file and select copy to original coordinates assuming that both plans have the same ucs & base point.

Hi All,

Sorry been away for Easter!

I have two floor plans in one drawings to allow copying from the propose to existing easier I can be copying over 5000 objects from one to the other in one command so copy and paste is not a viable option.

Nextvkin, I'll give that a go however it will still mean I have to scroll around twice once in each window to get the same view in each window.

Any more suggestions?

Stenna

Make your life easier. Change your methodology. Having one plan for all phases, existing to remain, demolition, proposed/new, etc. eliminates having duplicate objects. Use XREFs and or layer management to have the appropriate objects show in your viewports. Model space with all layers on will appear to be a mess but it will be a well organized mess. Layer management and working through viewports will make that mess workable. Having one plan eliminates the chance for discrepancies between two plans such as something being shown as both demo and existing to remain. With a project as large as the one you mentioned, it is easy to miss stuff. With one plan, you have no duplication and much less chance for errors.

Edited by RobDraw

Like Robdraw have a look at your layer names maybe use rename and make all existing start with Ex...... this way you can use wildcard on/off. Using rename you can pick multiple layers and add ex- to start, rename pick all new ex-*. Even just renaming into groups may help wall-* floor-*

A project I know of involving around 250+ individual sites of building upgrades, the client set up a master layer system from day 1 even down to having menu driven object creation so consistency was always achieved. Every site had to look identical.