Flatshot and Rotate

curtie20

I did do it wrong. The "U" shape portion stops 10 units above the bottom of the model. I'll have to correct that at some point and repost. Thanks for the info. I'll be stepping away from my desk for awhile but I will try to check back later on. I'll see you later.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• curtie20

• Dadgad

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... The "U" shape portion stops 10 units above the bottom of the model. ..

No, you did it correctly. The hole goes through the bottom of the part.

This is another one of those "Tricks" types problems that instructors use to separate the "A" students from the "B" student.

Remark - you did have an "A".

The Incorrect solutions shows what it looks like if you stop short 10mm of going through the bottom.

Solution.jpg

Edited by JD Mather

JD: Trick questions? Gadz, and I fell for it too! Well.....almost. I did not go back and change my drawing.

curtie: When I switch over to my CAD computer I will take a look at your latest drawing.

OK Remark, I think I just need to work on number 7 in your illustration. Work for me tomorrow so IL call it a night.

The two small rectangular blocks need to be another 10 units higher. You can accomplish this by using the MOVE FACES option, found on the Solid Editing panel, or copy the two rectangles on top of the existing rectangles then UNION them together.

Remember to fill in the area between the two rectangles as that is where the base of the triangle will sit.

So far it is looking good. Are you finding this method to be easier?

I haven't worked on the layers yet until I have mastered it

What layers might you be referring to?

Will you be required to provide an isometric view similar to the one I created using the VIEWBASE command?

JD: Trick questions? Gadz, and I fell for it too! Well.....almost. I did not go back and change my drawing.

curtie: When I switch over to my CAD computer I will take a look at your latest drawing.

This is an optical illusion, reminiscent of MC Escher. It is all a matter of perspective and mental UCS.

If you read it from left to right, it appears that the hole does not go through.

If you read it from right to left, referencing the bottom right front corner, it reads flat.

I was just screaming out a question from the cheap seats on the fly, having not really followed this thread. :|

With regards to VIEWBASE, if you are working in a saved PROFILE, you can change the colors and layer names, and as I recall

(I have only played around with it, not added it to my usual workflow), the software will recall those settings the next time you run it,

and the views will be generated onto those new default renamed layers.

Much of what I detail is large assemblies, rather than single element objects, so I still favor Solprof, as I need to break out all

the subobjects for my detail drawings.

Edited by Dadgad

Yes it has to be presented with the hidden lines so I will have to use flatshot or viewbase

Layers will have to be for the object and the hidden lines

Yes I have found your method to be a whole lot easier. Well I am learning that's for sure

Edited by Cad64
Merged posts

Do and submit it, both ways, submit the VIEWBASE one for extra credit on an ADDITIONAL LAYOUT TAB.

Have you noticed yet, that you can generate all of your orthogonal and isometric views with this in less than a couple seconds?

Curtie, congratulations, you seem to have gotten the hang of it! :beer:

I did notice that you still have a bunch of lines and a 3D polyline in your drawing.

If you erase those, you will be left with

nothing more than the 3D Model which looks spot on.

viewbase multiple views.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

I believe the overkill command is what's going to help me with the duplicate lines problem. Correct me if I'm wrong

Much as I frequently use and really like the OVERKILL command,

it won't do that, nor do you need it to.

It is quite simple to delete them.

Copy your 3D Solid by clicking on it (not with a window selection), and drag it clear of your existing one by a comfortable gap.

Then start the MOVE command and choose the copy and the original (with a crossing window, so you get everything there) which includes the extra bits.

Define your basepoint as a vertex grip on your new copy,

and drag it to the same grip on your old Solid.

In this way you can erase the earlier one with the extra lines, and you have a new clean 3D Solid.

The lines and 3D polyline you will be deleting are not necessarily duplicates, with which the Overkill command would help you,

but they are no longer needed, and thus expendable.

Edited by Dadgad

The lines and 3D polyline you will be deleting are not necessarily duplicates, with which the Overkill command would help you,

but they are no longer needed, and thus expendable.

I set delobj=0 so that profiles used to construct solids are not consumed. I create a layer called construction and turn it if, then place this "extra" geometry on this hidden layer in case I need it in the future to make a change. I hate having to redo work I have already done.

With good drafting practices this should become less and less of a concern over time. The use of well defined layers (using different colors) will help somewhat. Too many newcomers to CAD draw everything on one layer and use one color (white) or they start getting creative and overriding the layer color. This starts causing problems when one decides that a drawing is too busy and they try turning off or freeze a layer only to find out the geometry still appears on the screen.