Blocks scaling

Steve Bigfish

I use blocks all the time and have them on pallets , ones I have created and ones from many others. I have just found that they all now add a 33 scale , I have looked into creating new ones and ticking the allow explode seams to work . How do I edit all the existing ones? I have tried in properties and it wont save ANY IDEAS

sorry when I go in the insert on the right bottom of the window the factor number always comes up as 0.0394

hi mark , the insert factor is ok at 1 on my drawings originated by me , but the 0.03 on a drawingg supplied by another guy here , and I can't edit the factor on the insert screen , maybe it's his scaling

That is caused by you trying to insert an imperial drawing into a metric one (or the other way around). Check the variables beginning with INS* and you should find the one to change.

You mentioned having the blocks on pallets, right click on the selected block and open the properties, set the scale value to 25.4 (I got that from Dave ?) and try it now. But as Dave and ReMark mentioned it sounds like you need to check office standards, maybe someone is using the wrong units settings.

a history lesson, :geek:

we used to draw everything "unitless" meaning one drawing unit = whatever you want it to be.

some time ago this millenium AutoCAD introduced the INS* variables so that blocks are automatically scaled to match the INSUNITS that the blocks were drawn in. Naturally this only works if both source and destination have had their units set.

And naturally, the default was biased to imperial. In other words us metric people were suddenly subjected to our own blocks coming in at 1mm=1" or 25.4 times too big/small.

So that is where the 25.4 (or 1/25.4=0.0393700787) scale factors come from.

many thanks to both of you , it definitely looks like the 3 rd party member of staff has got his settings wrong .....regards Steve