Attaching dimensions to complex 3D object

kingdaddy

The properties list the part I selected as surface (top box) and Isolines under the "Geometry" portion of the properties

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingdaddy

• ReMark

• Dana W

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, the object appears to be a series of surfaces. The opening you are attempting to dimension however is at an angle therefore your UCS would have to match that angle.

After experimenting with the drawing I see no easy, straightforward way to dimension it. You might want to consider creating 2D views from the 3D model and dimension those instead.

Edited by ReMark

Turning Dynamic UCS offhelped. I was able to set the UCSproperly using the 3-Point UCS and have successfully dimensioned theopening. However I cannot figure out howto set the UCS up properly so I can dimension the overall height and width of the entire Radome. I’m new to dimensioning something like this,do you really have to set the UCS for every angle? What a Pain in the Keister. Also I don’t know how many views I would haveto show of this thing to properly display all the necessary dimensions.

Last but not least, howdo you show a radius dimension on a curved surface?

If you are reorienting the UCS manually then you will have to reset it for every angle. The Dynamic UCS would do this automatically but you seem to be having problems using it.

I'm not sure how you can show a radius dimension on a curved model comprised of surfaces. I do not work with surfaces nor do I dimension 3D models directly in my line of work. All dimensioning is handled via 2D views.

The method I would use is referred to alternately as BASEVIEW and VIEWBASE. You can access it via the Home tab > View panel in the 3D Modeling workspace.

I'm still waiting for my company to upgrade my computer so I can do more work with this file, right now I have a 32bit system so I'm low on memory and Acad keeps shutting down when Ido anything significant to this drawing. So to answer the last post, no I still haven’t gotten it down sized enough to post, don’t think its possible.

Thanks again remark, I'll try the BASEVIEW again after my computer upgrade.

I'm still waiting for my company to upgrade my computer so I can do more work with this file, right now I have a 32bit system so I'm low on memory and Acad keeps shutting down when Ido anything significant to this drawing. So to answer the last post, no I still haven’t gotten it down sized enough to post, don’t think its possible.

Thanks again remark, I'll try the BASEVIEW again after my computer upgrade.

may be worth giving whoever is sourcing your new computer some min specs for AuotCAD. In my experience this is nearly always a fail by the IT dept....they just don't comprehend what is required. i don't know how SolidWorks etc compare, but AutoCAD rinses your graphics card.

Yes I'm hoping for a i7 with 16Gb of RAM and a GTX660 GPU with some kind of SS hard drive which is what I have at home. However I took this file home and tried the Baseview command to show 3 different views and just like my work desktop it crashed (stoped responding). So either something is wrong with the baseview command in 2015 or there is something about this file because I cannot use baseview.