CAD LT 2013 Block Authoring

GregD

Hi,

It's a bit difficult to explain my problem

I would like to know how (or if it's even possible) to have an object follow a block in rotation (authored) without the object rotating itself. Kind of like a piston in a car, the piston will only move up and down but the rod and crankshaft will be in rotation (good example I hope). Or a luffing crane hoisting up and down and the counter ballast will follow the line of rotation but not rotate itself...

Help would me much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GregD

• ReMark

• steven-g

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I guess to an extent manually. I just want to be able to rotate a block and have another block follow the rotation without the object rotating itself? I know it's only LT but a guy can hope!

In the example you give, I would probably look at a script, but I doubt that would fit in with what your actual needs are. LT doesn't have constraints, so it would probably require a couple of blocks that would need to be altered individually.

Sounds like an interesting idea

It could probably be done using a dynamic block.

Sorry Mark, I'm pretty new to the CAD scene, when you say dynamic block do you mean the use of the authoring palettes?

Also, won't allow me to attach a .dwg file for some reason...

In the example you give, I would probably look at a script, but I doubt that would fit in with what your actual needs are. LT doesn't have constraints, so it would probably require a couple of blocks that would need to be altered individually.

Sounds like an interesting idea

I wish I knew how to use script...I will be able to use it in a day or two once I figure it out.

It'd be nice if it were as easy as when you add a dimension that just follows the stretch of the object automatically

Drawings can be attached to posts but you must first click on the Go Advanced button then at the next screen click on the Paperclip icon.

Ah yes...block authoring.

The Block Editor has a block authoring palette with four tabs: Parameters, Actions, Parameter Sets, and Constraints.

The Block Authoring Palettes window is displayed only in the Block Editor. Use these palettes to add parameters and actions to your dynamic block definition.

The vertical line is included in the Rotation action. The square object is a Block. The block is "attached" to the line with a Coincident constraint. (endpoint of line to midpoint of the bottom edge of the square) Probably not exactly what you want, but it demonstrates the concept. Similar could be done entirely with Geometric and Dimensional constraints.

Dynamic Rotation-Fixed.gif

The vertical line is included in the Rotation action. The square object is a Block. The block is "attached" to the line with a Coincident constraint. (endpoint of line to midpoint of the bottom edge of the square) Probably not exactly what you want, but it demonstrates the concept. Similar could be done entirely with Geometric and Dimensional constraints.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52407[/ATTACH]

I don't think I can even use coincident constraints on CAD LT 2013? I'm trying but with no effect...but what you've shown is basically what I would like to achieve thanks.

Yeah, I didn't think so :cry: and I tried it with authoring palettes, why can't I, for instance put the rotate and point parameters on top of each other?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52407[/ATTACH]

That's a problem in LT we don't have constraints, but looking at your video, if this is what the OP is looking for, it might be possible using a combination of rotate and linking a move action!

That's a problem in LT we don't have constraints, but looking at your video, if this is what the OP is looking for, it might be possible using a combination of rotate and linking a move action!

That's exactly what I was trying to but for some reason I can't place them on top of each other, any tips?

Mark, I am desperately trying to figure out how you did that! Please tell me how you did it, I can't recreate it even though it looks the same...

Nestly, don't be sorry, you are helping loads