AutoCAD 2012 to 2015 - laggy and sluggish

MDrawings

Command LAYFRZ works for VPFREEZE after activating the viewport. No buttons needed.

That is six keystrokes vs. six clicks before getting to layer selection. I wonder which wins. :lol:

Three ways to accomplish the same thing and people still say everything is hard in AutoCAD.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• willb

• ReMark

• MDrawings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just showed another way to invoke the command, didn't mention one word about being faster, all depends on your preference. Someone that uses the keyboard will be quicker using the keyboard than hunting down a button.

You can always make a shortcut like "LF" and be even quicker, what is your point?

Sorry OP for taking this thread on a tangent...oops

Considering locked layers and having the setting of "Lock and Fade", to lets say a 50% value, is it possible for the objects on the locked layers to NOT be highlighted when making a selection set over a large group of objects? They way i'm working is that I have a layer of objects locked, another layer with objects unlocked which I need to copy, move or what ever may be required but I require the objects on the locked layer to be visible for referencing and use of snap points on them. It's extremely difficult to be 100% certain I've selected all the desired objects on the unlocked layer because the selection also highlights all the objects on the unlocked layers. This is a real big problem for me especially when many objects are clustered in one area.

I have in Options/Selection Visual Effect settings "selection set preview filter" with "objects on locked layers" checked, expecting the preview filter to NOT highlight them but it still does.

Would be nice Remark but I need that locked layer visible, i'm using it as the reference and it's snap points for going up in the 'ZED' direction in 3D models.

I also wanna say that Layer Freeze and VP freeze AINT the same thing as you guys seem to suggest. I've done layer freeze in Vports and it freezes the layer in every view port...not cool and VPFreeze has no function in modelspace...To confirm, the VPFreeze button only shows up in the layers drop down inside a VP not in modelspace, and if the layers window is open in modelspace and the VPFreeze button is clicked the layers window instantly vanishes...in 2016. haw haw haw So the question still remains where is the VPFreeze command or a button we can place in the QAT aside from the only place we can access if , the layer drop down? Quirky now init?

Sorry OP for taking this thread on a tangent...oops

I have in Options/Selection Visual Effect settings "selection set preview filter" with "objects on locked layers" checked, expecting the preview filter to NOT highlight them but it still does.

Gona be a knobhead an reply to myself.

Yo self, I know it doesn't make sense, but unchecking "Objects on locked layers" in the Selection Preview Filter section of the Visual Effect Settings dialogue, actually does what you need. What actually happens is that, if you select the objects 'PRIOR' to initiating the command, all items WILL be highlighted. When the command is later initiated (after selection) then they magically deselect unhighlight) themselves. In reverse, initiate command then select all objects will immediately highlights ONLY the items on unlocked layers. phew...what an contortionistic approach

Would be nice Remark but I need that locked layer visible, i'm using it as the reference and it's snap points for going up in the 'ZED' direction in 3D models.

I also wanna say that Layer Freeze and VP freeze AINT the same thing as you guys seem to suggest. I've done layer freeze in Vports and it freezes the layer in every view port...not cool and VPFreeze has no function in modelspace...To confirm, the VPFreeze button only shows up in the layers drop down inside a VP not in modelspace, and if the layers window is open in modelspace and the VPFreeze button is clicked the layers window instantly vanishes...in 2016. haw haw haw So the question still remains where is the VPFreeze command or a button we can place in the QAT aside from the only place we can access if , the layer drop down? Quirky now init?

Layer freeze while in an active viewport IS and has always been VPFreeze. I just tested it to verify.

As to your other question, it should probably be in it's own thread. Maybe a mod will separate it. Also, you may want to look into using a different method if layiso with lock and fade doesn't work for you. Maybe using construction lines for snapping so that you can freeze the layer that is interfering with verifying your selection.

Now, Groups. Ok I select objects and place them in a group..yeah great but, what I I want to group objects based on Layers.. Huh?? You know I have an audio engineering background so my thoughts reference to the abilities and functions in that world. In that would we mix a bunch of drums. So a kik, snare, hat are on their own channel (layer in AutoCAD) we then assign all these channels to a subgroup and then when I want to solo (isolate) this function works on the subgroup, all those channels (layers assigned to that group).

Now Grouping in AutoCAD seems to be based on, well individual objects. I want to group 2 layers and when I add more objects to each of those layers they automatically get assigned to the group. This would then make isolating, locking, freezing the groups wayyyyyyyy easier.

So what are the possibilities in AutoCAD that you wise old geezers have up yer sleeves?

Another tangent in the same thread? I also don't appreciate being called an "old geezer".

I'm done.

Another tangent in the same thread? I also don't appreciate being called an "old geezer".

I'm done.

I'll split this out. Hey i'm old too, relax.

Also specific to AutoCAD2015, you may try turning off LINEFADING and/or LINESMOOTHING when Hardware Acceleration is enabled

Other trouble shooting suggestions:

Disable all the Input search options

Dock the Command Line (Docked, not anchored)

Disable COMMANDPREVIEW

Disable PROPERTYPREVIEW

Disable SELECTIONEFFECT

Disable PRESELECTIONEFFECT

Disable SELECTIONCYCLING

Disable ROLLOVERTOOLTIPS

Disable QSELECT

I have to chuckle at this since this is a lot of the "improvements" we pay for every year, yet we have to disable them to have acceptable performance.

I have mixed feelings about new features being on by default. If you have a borderline machine and something new might be hindering performance, it could be tough to track it down. If they are off, something new and useful might go unnoticed.

I'm sure Autodesk has mixed feelings also.

On one hand they need hot, new, flashy features that look good for the marketing people.

On the other hand, they know that users don't get hot, new hardware each year to be able to drive these features in an acceptable manner.

There is a reason that Steve Johnson's "putting things back to normal" posts were so popular.

Part of that is people that just want the same look, but part of it was to disable all the things that make it run slower too.