Label Expressions Disappearing in CIVIL 3D

Smile1465

I'm Labeling flow information of a pipe (RCB to be specific, but I'll use pipe), and almost at random parts of the expression disappear leaving me with an error for the labels and having to go through the tedious process of fixing the expressions. This happens with several expressions but the same information is missing. So for example:

HYDRAULIC RADIUS RCB:

(AREA_OF_PIPE_RCB)/(2*{Inner Pipe Height}+2*{Inner Pipe Width})

Becomes

(AREA_OF_PIPE_RCB)/(2*+2*)

It always seems to be losing the information related with the pipe's property. While it does it this when I restart AutoCad it doesn't do it everytime, I cant find to seem to find any pattern to when it does it.

I'm new here, I did a quick search and didn't find anything, I asked a few of the veterans in my office and they haven't seen anything like this, so hence I'm posting here. I appreciate everyone's time.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the drawing being opened, edited, and saved in a different version of Civil 3D or other AutoCAD vertical? In what version was the original style created and in what version are you currently working on these drawings?

Is the drawing being opened, edited, and saved in a different version of Civil 3D or other AutoCAD vertical? In what version was the original style created and in what version are you currently working on these drawings?

I'm currently using Civil3D 2014, to open, edit and save these files. These label styles were around before started working here so they can be as old as 2012.

I've had issues with styles created in older versions as well, but I haven't seen it with the expressions yet. That's why I asked about when the style was created. Autodesk posted this possible resolution for style issues last month. I don't think that it will work for you. I'll research it some more.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Label-style-components-missing-grayed-out.html

Was the original template created from acad.dwt or one of the NCS templates?

Do you ever purge the drawings?

Have you ever seen a message about multiply owned objects on the command line such as the ones shown here:

http://crossing-the-line-with-c3d.blogspot.com/2008/04/warning-multiply-owned-object.html

Finally, will you create a copy of the drawing that has the expressions working, then the next time they disappear, save a copy of that drawing also. Remove all the objects and xrefs in the drawing and add the drawings to a zip file. Attach the zip file to this thread. That way the two files can be reviewed and compared.

--Tom

The easiest fix might be to create the expression from scratch in the 2014 template. I would use a slightly modified name (add 2014 to the name?) to make sure you can track if it continues to happen.